Parents Look what I made today!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jen H.

Proud Parent
I made this set today for American Girl sized dolls- the real version is retired and goes for $150 and up in Ebay.
This is a prototype that I am going to fancy up a bit by painting the bar frame, staining the dowels, and improving the grips.
It is solid and well made- if I must say so myself!:p

This set I made for my youngest girl, but I am thinking of taking pictures of the finished product, making a flyer, and putting it up at the gym. We also have a gym consignment sale coming up soon and I would bring it and maybe take orders for Christmas. Not looking to retire or anything, but maybe make a few bucks.

The set includes: bars, beam, mat, and grips.
What are your honest thoughts and what would you think is a fair price?

(Sorry for the poor quality pictures!)

wow you are clever. I think that is lovely and looks nice and solid. Love it.

You are very clever!

With regard to your question, I think you need to decide what is a fair price and then ask if people would pay it. It's a bit too open ended to ask what we would pay, as I for one would not want to put a figure own here and offend anyone!

Work out the cost of the materials, plus other costs (fuel, packaging?) and work out how long it would take to make each set and what you think is a reasonable hourly rate. The average hourly rate people make on hand crafted items here in the UK is pretty poor actually, so people rarely get a fair hourly rate, but you might be able to get that sort of info for your area.

When you've added it up, see what you think and adjust accordingly and then ask a few people.

It's really gorgeous, so good luck.

To answer your question about pricing, I was told once that you should charge at least 2x or 3x what you spent to make it.

Very nice! The new American Girl magazine came in the mail the other day and they now sell a set that includes a beam, bar, mat, grips and incline mat for $85. It's not the Mckenna set, I guess they decided to keep making them. Taking that into consideration, I would suggest charging less than that (although your bars are better because they are unevens and the AG one is just a single bar). Good luck!

Please keep us posted what you decide to sell it for, because I may be interested. If CB frowns on that then private message me. It would make a GREAT Christmas gift.

I bet you could sell this set on Etsy like hot cakes around Christmas...$50-60 plus shipping. I began selling matching leotards for gymies and AG doll around last Christmas and almost wanted to shoot myself because they were so in demand. Go for it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back