Looking for drills for reverse-grip cast over/cast handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
My level 6 boys are struggling with high bar, because none of them can get that reverse-grip cast-over to give them enough swing for the next few skills.

So I'm looking for two things:

1) What are some strength exercises that specifically target this movement? Or is there a specific combination of exercises that will help?

2) Does anybody have any good drills to address the technical side of the skill (ie not dropping the shoulders too far forward, extending the body quickly rather than dropping the hips/shoulders, etc)?

Kinda obvious but handstand trainer in reverse grip.

I haven't specifically used this for this issue, but I wonder if doing forward and back bounders/handsprings connected (like front to back ones, not connected in the same direction) would help with some of the strength and open shoulder alignment. I've also seen bridge, slide/fall to flatback, which made me think of it.

Mastering a cast to handstand (in any grip) requires a lot of strength. A lot of Level 6 boys struggle with this skill, but I think it's great to incorporate it the way they do.

One drill I like to do for cast handstands is to have the gymnast stand against a wall. With a weight bar, the gymnast starts by holding the bar down by their thighs. They then left the bar all the way up above their head, emphasizing straight arms.

I am a big fan of spotting on high bar, and so spotting a lot of undergrip cast handstands should help.

Another simple drill is to set up a floor bar and an 8-inch mat. The gymnast kicks up to an undergrip handstand and does a flat back onto the mat. The key here is to keep the head neutral, straight arms, and straight body.

Dips and handstand pushups and lower back strength.

A drill we set up involves two spotting blocks like how you would do block maltese drills. Instead, grab the bar while you lay your hips over the bar and your shoulders rest on the blocks. Heel drive and get inverted. It's basically a reverse hyper. It's a good drill

You can also add ankle weights or do reverse hypers to horizontal and tie a rope with weights to their ankles. In this drill I would not raise the legs much more than horizontal due to how it's set up.

Spotted presses from planche to handstand help as well

I think the first thing to consider is the flexibility issue with the reverse grip handstands. I know you have the poles you use for shoulder stretches. Look how much wider grip is needed to simply lift the stick over the head with straight arms in a reverse grip as compared to a regular grip. This is a very good starting exercise to target smaller muscles in the shoulder while working wrist and shoulder flex. Add theraband resistance as needed.
Reverse grip bounce to handstand on the tumble trak bar followed by handstand flatbacks with a bat to land on. The object would be to land with straight arms and not release the bar.

If the kid is already strong enough to do reverse grip handstand push ups on a floor bar, you wouldn't be asking but you may want to start with reverse grip push ups on the floor bar with the body flat. Raise the feet after each set until the find the angle they can still do the push up at. Eventually they will get to the handstand version.

Reverse grip on the floor bar, press to handstands. These seem to be a lot more difficult to me since I don't have the flexibility in the shoulders and wrists.

I do think the dump over the bar in reverse grip to hop to grip change is an OK drill since if the do it wrong, they peel off at the bottom. I'd stick to doing these over the pit. I'd have them cast a little higher each time the do it successfully and with good form. i.e. if they make the regrip but look like a spaghetti person that's been cooked to long, don't move forward.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back