Parents Low to high score progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone who has been in the community for a while seen an average gymnast (34-35 scores) at the compulsory level go on to actually be competitive as an optional (36-38s)? Just looking for some feedback/curious. For the record, the child in question has repeated two levels as a compulsory.

I don’t have an optional gymnast at this point so I can’t weigh in personally but there was a very similar post in the anonymous section not long ago that had some really good answers that you might want to check out!
The gist of it was that you can’t predict a gymnast’s long term success by scores in early levels and that some great compulsory gymnasts struggle in optionals and some lower scoring compulsory kids really blossom in optionals.

Has anyone who has been in the community for a while seen an average gymnast (34-35 scores) at the compulsory level go on to actually be competitive as an optional (36-38s)? Just looking for some feedback/curious. For the record, the child in question has repeated two levels as a compulsory.
I was a consistent mid-high compulsory. Now a 36-37 optional, so yes things do change! When you’re young it’s hard to focus on every little detail and as you get older it definitely becomes easier to focus on those little details in my experience.

Yes!! My daughter never scored above a 35 in level 4 and highest score was 35.8 in level 5 (average score was 34.2). She started level 6 this year and she just got a 37.3 at State (4th place AA) and 2nd place champion on bars! She has ADHD and didn’t do well with the particularities of the routines in compulsory. Now that she has her own routines based on her strengths, she is thriving, so there is hope!!

Yes, my daughter only hit 36 once as a compulsory gymnast, the rest of her scores were in the 32-35 range. She consistently hit 37+ in level 7 & 8, and this year as a 9 only competed 2 meets before getting injured but hit a 36+ will a fall. And is on track for level 10 next season as a freshman. Compulsory scores have little to do with future success. Oh and she also repeated level 4.

Yep my daughter did it. She wasn’t a good compulsory gymnast at all. Then everything switched levels 7–10, she was getting 38s all the time

I always wonder when this topic comes up. Are the low scores because it's a really young gymnast being fast tracked through the lower levels or is it really a average aged gymnast going through the levels a year at a time all of a sudden scoring better at the higher levels.

A kid who skills come easy to but might struggle with polish or perhaps flexibility can definitely blossom when they can choose leaps/dance that suits them. Especially if polish and focus improves with age. A kid who is scoring below 9’s because they struggle with the skills is unlikely to become a high scoring optional.

I always wonder when this topic comes up. Are the low scores because it's a really young gymnast being fast tracked through the lower levels or is it really a average aged gymnast going through the levels a year at a time all of a sudden scoring better at the higher levels.
This kiddo in question is going to be a 3x level 4 repeat. Our current gym requires a 36 at least 2x in a season. Shes yet to hit 1. Kiddo is 9 yo

Out of curiosity, I just checked previous meet scores and 2 of the girls that were with my kid in level 4 did not score 36 twice and are now multi year level 10s scoring from 35s to 37s. (There may have been others that did not score the 36 twice. I only checked the ones still competing.)

I would look into options for other gyms. Repeating L4 again does not sound like a great idea. She'll most likely be bored and frustrated and possibly decide to quit.

My kiddo never got a 36, highest score at level 4 was a 35.1. 2 yrs later, she just got 4th AA out of 25 in level 6 state with a 37.3. From what I’ve seen, bars are a huge indicator of success later on. A lot of events can be learned but you need the strength in bars (my dd best event) as you move up.

I just looked and my daughter only scored over 36 once in level 4. She's a level 9 now. I would look around at other gyms if they insist on having her repeat 4 for a third time. Worth it to at least have her evaluated elsewhere.

Scores alone shouldn’t gate keep moving up. The bigger question is does she have the skills for level 5? Could be worth at least getting an evaluation at another gym to see where she stands.

The OP describes my daughter's path pretty well . . .

Age 6 (Level 3): 32-33 range
Age 7 (Level 4): 34-35 range (never scored 36+)
Age 8 (Level 5): mostly 35's with one meet >36
Age 9 (Level 7): most scores have been 37+

My daughter scored a 36 only once in two years of level 4 when she happened to get a really high bars score and somehow stayed on the beam in the same meet. Never scored a 36 in level 5 - best score was probably a low 35. Once she started level 6 things she started scored over 36 consistently - not having to do certain skills like straddle jumps (seriously so bad that she sometimes didn't get credit for the skill) was a game changer!

My oldest (I'll use current level numbering so it makes sense)...

L2 (5 years old): Low 30's
L3 1st Year (6 years old): 32's - 34's
L3 2nd Year (7 years old): 35's to one 37.0
L4 (7 years old): Only did one meet at 32.525
L5 (8 years old): Only did one meet at 33.25
L7 (8 years old): 35's
L8 (9 years old): 34's to 37's... she learned to score this season
L9 (10 years old): 32's to 35's... hard year
L10 (11 years+... 7 years of L10): 34's to 38.475

Her scores were all over the map... but I would not call her average.

Now college 39.355 NQS... Mountain West AA Champ & Freshman of the Year!

EDIT: Here's an off topic too... here she is when I started this website...

Last edited:
I suspect that some aspect of the training at the gym is not working for this kiddo, since she is not making progress. Also, I wonder if the pressure to get a certain score is making her nervous at meets and she is under performing. I think that switching to Xcel or to a new gym would make sense. Doing level 4 a 3rd time seems like a bad option.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back