Parents Managing young athletes at later meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momto2js

Proud Parent
My son just turned 6 and his first level 4 meet is fast approaching. He is in Kindergarten and school starts at 7am. So we have become early risers. Our first meet, is on a Friday night about 3 hours away. Just our level 4's are going (the upper levels are going to another meet that weekend). We have just got the schedule and it is a 5pm warm-up 5:50 start time. So I am planning to take DS out of school at 1 and then drive up stop for an early dinner.

Our normal gym time is T, TH from 5-7 and I am thinking that he should not go to the gym the Thurdsay before so we can get him to bed early the night before. What are some of the things you have done to help manage the unusually long days at later meets?? Any suggestions are welcome!

My ds has had several meets like this. The first year, we didn't change anything other than pulling him out of school early. That was not good for him. He was so tired by the time they got to the last rotation. So, the next 2 years, we didn't do practice (coaches' orders. He told all the boys competing to stay home) and then we didn't go to school. HIs teachers gave him his work for Friday and we did it at home that day, and went to the meet.

We also would pack lots of healthy snacks in his bag to help keep him goign during the meet. We usually would have dinner abotu 3:30ish.

Good luck!!!

I HATE meets that late, because it usually means they will be finishing late. Nothing like watching a child, who normally goes to bed at 9pm, trying to do a floor exercise at that time. I wish when they schedule meets they take in consideration the ages of these kids.

Anyways, enough with my rant. Yes, we had that schedule last year, at a meet 5 hours away. I would probably do it over again if I had to. I would honestly just take your child out of school for the day. Even though it is 3 hours, leave early and take your time. Nothing tires you and your child out more than added stress, by trying to travel and be somewhere at a specific time. Make nurmerous stops to stretch. I would stop a little later mid day for the main meal. Make sure he has 2 hours or more time to digest his food before the competition. I give my DD 3 hours, she needs it. She will have some fruit packed in her gym bag if she has some down time at the meet.

If you are staying at a hotel, try and see if you can check in early. I usually don't have an issue. Hang out at the hotel for some down time, before heading over to compete.

We usually have a fairly light practice on Friday night if we have an early Saturday rotation. The girls just all run through their routines once or twice and then the coaches call it a night.

I don't remember ever having a Friday night session. That would really really suck.

My son just turned 6 and his first level 4 meet is fast approaching. He is in Kindergarten and school starts at 7am. So we have become early risers. Our first meet, is on a Friday night about 3 hours away. Just our level 4's are going (the upper levels are going to another meet that weekend). We have just got the schedule and it is a 5pm warm-up 5:50 start time. So I am planning to take DS out of school at 1 and then drive up stop for an early dinner.

Our normal gym time is T, TH from 5-7 and I am thinking that he should not go to the gym the Thurdsay before so we can get him to bed early the night before. What are some of the things you have done to help manage the unusually long days at later meets?? Any suggestions are welcome!

what does his coach say?

what does his coach say?

The coach will support what ever decision we make as parents. We have a good working relationship with the coach but it has been a long time since she has had to manage the pre-meet schedule of a just turned 6 year old. He is 2.5 years younger than the rest of the team so I do have to be around to ensure everyone remembers he was only 5 2 days ago.

My concern is that by Friday he is really just done after school. Our usual bed time is between 7-7:30, he will still have 1/2 a meet to go at that point.

That is the way D was as a 6 year old Level 4, and even as a 7 year old level 5. That is why we just let him sleep in that Friday, and then took our time going down. Made life a lot more pleasant for everyone.

We've had a few of those meets. DD's state meet didn't end until 9:30 last year (ugh!) but with that one, I managed to get her to take a cat nap on the way to the meet. You never want to see your kid yawning before getting on a beam, LOL! I say if the coach is OK with it, making sure that your boy gets plenty of rest the night before always helps.

That sucks! If you aren't willing to take him out of school for the day, can he nap in the car on the way to the meet? My dd had 2 meets when she was a Level 4 that wasn't scheduled to start until 6:30 or 7 pm - and then they ended up running an hour or so behind. For one, we were still sitting in awards at midnight. They were NOT on Friday nights, so we were able to sleep in, but it was still ridiculous for all involved. I don't have great advice, but I certainly feel for you! Hope it goes as well as possible~

For one, we were still sitting in awards at midnight
Ridiculous. :eek:

Never heard of many friday meets unless they are HUGE optional or state/regional meets.

Honestly, if he is tired from school I'd try pulling him before lunch. Try a nap that ends about 2 hours before the meet starts so he isn't groggy.

I would not have him skip the Thursday practice. If anything a shorter practice with little strength or conditioning. Hit routines, go home. 2-3 routines.

Consider some caffeine if need be. Let him sip some coffee, tea, mocha, whatever. Chocolate.

Talked to the coach last night and we have a plan. Thursday night, DS is going to work out with the developmental team (the assistant coach can work with them and our head coach will have DS do his routines). Since I my younger son is in that group we are there already then we will be home by 6 and in bed plenty early. If he sleeps late in the morning Friday, then no school. If he wakes up he might as well go and then hopefully nap in the car on the drive. I hope it works!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back