Meet Season "Stress"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
I have a question...

The parents at my gym refuse to do just about anything during meet season - they can't do fundraising during meet season, they can't attend a parent meeting during meet season - the list is endless.

I understand that weekends are busy during meet season and although my kiddo will be competing in her first meet tomorrow so I dont' have any meet season experience - I just don't "get" that mentality. Is there some magic "auto-pause" that happens to life during meet season that I don't know about? We only have 5 meets for heavens sake.

Maybe some seasoned higher level parents can help me understand this??

Families with multiple children in multiple activities that are starting comps as well as starting school may be stressed out. That said, there's still people who just like looking for excuses ;-)

Could it be that right now, everyone is a little more stressed with school starting? This year, we re-arranged some of our BC stuff, so that we had our first big, long meeting of the year about 3 weeks before school started, and then we have limited BC activities and no meeting for the 1st month of school as everyone adjusts to school staring and all the school open houses and meetings for other activities staring up. I know next week I have 2 open houses at my kid's schools and a meeting for one of my other kids activities, so that is 3 nights this week, on top of getting my kid to and from the gym 5x. Hopefully you will find your parents a little more receptive after everyone gets settled into the routine of things. Thankfully, our home meet is one of the first meets of the year, so most of the work for it takes place before our meet season gets really busy in the winter/spring. We have meets 7 out of 9 weekends in a row in mid Jan-Mar., so we really pretty much don't have meetings during that time either.
We also try to do as much by e-mail and notes as possible and save meetings for topics that need more discussion. Good luck with your BC!

Lol we don't fundraise or have many parent meetings. I agree with Gymtigermom that once back to scoop stuff is over and people are settled in routines it may be better. We started back to school Thursday and had to sort out picking up and getting to the gym. Have a wonderful comp season :)

There will always be some that do absolutely nothing and I've yet to come across a great way to motivate them. Then as was mentioned you might have some parents that have several kids in different activites and are just burned out on the whole fund raising/volunteer thing.
You'll find starting this weekend that meets can suck up a large part of the weekend--even those only 1-2 hours away.

I know it always comes down to a few parents that end up doing it all. Try looking at "easy" fund raisers like leo sales--parents don't have to do much and you can bring in some decent money.

our tw best fundraisers this past year was an old leo sale where everyone from rec class through L10 brought in their old leos that don't fit or they don't wear and we sell them just before christmas and at any meet and recitle we hold at our gym for only $5 the ones that we know were really expensive may be priced at $10. But usually all look brand new. Usually makes a good $200 - $300 each time we offer them. I'm amazed how many get donated every year. We also get the team leos from gymnasts that have left and sell them at 1/2the price to new team folks.

the other one we did was at the meets and recitles. We made chocolate and white choclate pops and brownie bite pops and favor sized boxes of candy added a small business card sized card and for $6 each or 2 for $10 the parents can send a good wish to their gymnast. they get announced between every rotation of events. the first rotation not many get them but once one kid gets them then the parents don't want their kid left out and we have a mad rush from the parents. Most will get the $10 option even if they only have one kid.

Makes a good $300 - $400 per session.

Gym Law Mom hit the nail on the head. You find that no matter where you go and what activity your kids participate in, there are some parents that just refuse to get involved. It's ALWAYS the same core group of people who do everything. Whether it's fundraising or setting up for a meet. It's just a fact of life and you just have to suck it up and move on. If you worry about it and try to fight the current, you'll just end up more stressd about it. Some booster clubs will impose a "non-particpation fee" to help pad that bank account. I know my DD's high school has a "no stress fundraiser"... can you guess what it is? You don't have to sell anything, no knocking on doors, etc. O.K.... I'll tell. You just mail in a check for the school's fundraising account!! HA HA HA!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back