Mennicelli or Backhandspring step out ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hy there,

I was wondering what the US name for a mennicelli is. Is it a bh step out ??? And if so, WHEN does a gymnasts "step out" ? I have heard so many different versions that I have to admit I am confused...

Thanks...:confused:

after a little bit of research I think it is a bhs step out.
Personally I like it when the feet begin to separate just after take off and then show a full split once they pass through the handstand phase.

I try to get them to time the split to where it keeps the hands from taking too much of the landing force. I see far too many kids jump up, land heavy, then try to split. I like the step earlier. I'd try to find a different word other than split. It seems to have some kids pushing one leg the wrong direction. You should see the split happen since one leg is coming through while the other stays in place... sort of :).

okay...you threw me off with the flip flop step out thing. that's not what a menichelli is or what he was known for. i used to do one in my floor routine. you really threw my brain off. it just hit me now. age is bliss...here it is and it is at :27. you see him put his hands on the floor, kick to handstand, fall over dislocated, and then inlocate back thru handstand. :) THAT is the Menichelli!

1964 Olympics gymnastics Franco Menichelli FX - YouTube

okay...you threw me off with the flip flop step out thing. that's not what a menichelli is or what he was known for. i used to do one in my floor routine. you really threw my brain off. it just hit me now. age is bliss...here it is and it is at :27. you see him put his hands on the floor, kick to handstand, fall over dislocated, and then inlocate back thru handstand. :) THAT is the Menichelli!

1964 Olympics gymnastics Franco Menichelli FX - YouTube

Well this is not what the menichelli is here : he was also known for going down backwards with the hands to the floor like a backhandspring and while you go backwards you spread your legs or better to say..one leg goes faster than the other one…you can see it in the video on 0:44 ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back