Mental Block, cartwheel on beam!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

perfect_jinx

Okay so, I can't get my cartwheel on beam by myself. I can do it fine with spot and my coaches tell me that i can do it on my own but i always psyche myself out and can't even get one foot on the beam. I know its all in my head but i don't know what to do to stop psyching myself out, i try to tell myself i'm just gonna go for it... but i still do the same thing.
Any ideas on how to get over my fear? ANYTHING is appreciated!

When I was learning my CW on the high beam, I would get scared and I wouldn't kick as hard as I would on low beam, thus not making it. I wouldn't get both my feet on when this happened. I needed to learn to kick extra hard if I was scared because my fear would slow me down. So kick hard behind you, lift your taking-off leg as you lever in, and make sure your shoulders are right on top of the beam.

P.S. - kicking hard solves a lot of problems with not only CW, but also BWO, FWO, and FHS!

Okay so, I can't get my cartwheel on beam by myself. I can do it fine with spot and my coaches tell me that i can do it on my own but i always psyche myself out and can't even get one foot on the beam. I know its all in my head but i don't know what to do to stop psyching myself out, i try to tell myself i'm just gonna go for it... but i still do the same thing.
Any ideas on how to get over my fear? ANYTHING is appreciated!

LOL my DD has a fear for that too. she is L7 now and at L5 when she had to do it she just was a 50 50 crap shot if she got it or not. Even today she would rather to a backhandspring combination anytime to a cartwheel on the beam. What she does is have the coach stand on the side she would usually fall on and be ready to spot but not spot and she can do it. At meets anytime she had to do a cartwheel the coach would just stand on that side of the beam and she usually got it.

During practice she would get the big blocks and putit under the beam when the coach wasn't there and practice them with the block under the beam. this helped because she was physically 4 feet off the ground but it felt like she was on the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back