WAG Mental Blocks- UGH!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancedmom

Proud Parent
I try very hard to leave gymnastics in the gym but am finding it hard to practice what I preach. DD had injuries, has been out with injuries but wants to compete L7 this year as planned--in the last couple of meets. However, she is struggling with mental blocks on BHS on beam-- a skill she did well all year last year. I don't know if there is anything that will help but thought I would ask. What has helped others??

It's been a double-edged sword for my DD. An upcoming meet is often a huge motivator and DD has a few times been able to move beyond the fear because she wants to compete THAT much. It's also gone the other way too where the pressure of having to get the skill was too much and she kinda spiraled out of control and regressed even more on whatever was holding her back. DD is most successful navigating fear when she is able to put it all in perspective. For me, I try to keep conversation about it light. I let her vent just long enough but discourage her from dwelling on it. I remind her that she's had it before and will get it again. I've suggested that she go back to a couple of the Doc Ali techniques that have resonated with her. Some of it for my DD is that she thinks she is either disappointing the coach or that the coach doesn't like her. I seem to spend a lot of time redirecting that negative line of thinking. When DD feels like she is in control, progress is made.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back