WAG More common to score out of 4 or 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdoc

Proud Parent
Our gym is all wonky on levels due to a big coach change last fall. Our old coach hated the new level 6, so a bunch of girls scored out of 5 and went to 7, but she also kept a bunch of old 4s "back" at level 3 last year. Our new coach had those girls score out of 4 over the summer and compete 5 this year. That didn't go well for any of them. Now the new coach is planning on some of our current 4s scoring out of 5 and doing 6 in the fall. All the 7s are repeating, and most of the current 5s are moving t0 6.

So my question is, for the gyms that do allow "skipping", is it more common to score out of 4 or to score out of 5?

Our gym does not compete Level 3. I've never heard of anyone skipping Level 4. Our gym's best gymnast who made Tops A camps and has been involved in Elite Testing, ( I honestly don't know where she is in that. If it is Hopes or true Elite. I know that is a sensitive subject around here) did old Level 5 when she was 7 and old 6 at 8 in the fall, and then started optionals in the spring. Our select few gymnasts that are accelerated do Level 4 in the Fall, Level 5 the next fall, and Level 7 in the spring. Noone in the gym does Level 6. The normal path is to finish the level 5 season in December, and start Level 7 a year later when the optional season starts in January, so they have a year to get ready. Hope that helps

Most gyms in our area "skip" L5 and compete L6 instead. It is VERY rare for a gymnast to skip L4. Some gyms around here choose to compete L5, then compete L6 or L7 depending on skills.

IF there is skipping, it's at L5. Usually they will go from L5-L7: sometimes they have to wait a year, sometimes it's directly after compulsory season.

Score out of level 5 after the level 4 season is over (usually during the summer), then compete 6 or 7 depending on who has their giant.

I've never heard of girls skipping 4.

On a side note, when people talk about your girls going from 4->7, would that mean that you think they'll go from lvl4 in fall 2015 to lvl7 in Spring 2016 or Spring 2017? I know this depends on when your region does compulsories; we have them in fall and spring though most people do fall so I am interested in your schedule.

On a side note, when people talk about your girls going from 4->7, would that mean that you think they'll go from lvl4 in fall 2015 to lvl7 in Spring 2016 or Spring 2017? I know this depends on when your region does compulsories; we have them in fall and spring though most people do fall so I am interested in your schedule.
DD did L4 in fall of 2013, 3 meets of L5 in spring of 2014 then 3 meets of L7 and 1 meet at L8 this season.

Depends on the club, but yes typically we compete 4 in the fall, then score out of 5 in January and go optional a few weeks later. Although we only do this with a few kids a year. The kids that do not make this jump go 5 next fall and then 7.

Our gym requires a gymnast to score out TWICE... and they have the option of moving up mid-season IF they have their routines already (so it was open to 3/5 L5 this season). Neither of the girls who have qualified to move up have wanted to... and the one girl has an AWESOME L6 floor routine already choreographed!
... Of course I am referring to L5.

Our gym skips level 6. They like the scruitny that level 5 provides. I don't know of any gyms that skip level 4.

5. Because 5 and 6 are pretty much the same.

This.

In our area, it's common to have very few L5s at a meet.
Our current L4s will either score out of 5 in April, or our first meet in October, and compete L6 in the spring. (Those that aren't on track to do that, will compete Xcel gold for a year while working the 5/6/7 skills to join the 6s or 7s the next year)

We do 4 and 5. Very rare someone skips. Now that we have a better handle on level 6 it looks like the goal is level 7 after 5, but 6 for some kids who may be missing a skill for 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back