Parents My son's first meet...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh, he is so cute. And a champion. Well done to him. How many boys was he up against?

He looks to me like he could be good. Nice blend of strength and flexibility and lovely point on those toes. Supportive parenting too, which is a definite requirement.

Try not to get swept away with rushing through levels. Even very talented kids need coaches' input to help them instil great form, and that's what gymnasts need as they progress.

Enjoy it for what it is and welcome to the Chalk Bucket.

He did a very nice job on his routines. Is he old enough to do L5 next year? At our gym, the coach would probably try to point him in that direction. We had a couple of guys this year who weren't, so they had to do the second year competing L4 as six year olds.

I love tiny L4 boys. There is nothing cuter on the planet.

Oh, he is so cute. And a champion. Well done to him. How many boys was he up against?

He looks to me like he could be good. Nice blend of strength and flexibility and lovely point on those toes. Supportive parenting too, which is a definite requirement.

Try not to get swept away with rushing through levels. Even very talented kids need coaches' input to help them instil great form, and that's what gymnasts need as they progress.

Enjoy it for what it is and welcome to the Chalk Bucket.

Thanks for your reply! He is so in love with this sport and constantly working on his skills, strength and flexibility. I absolutely love watching him grow. It's nice to know others see his talent, especially you being a former gymnast. Thanks for your response and advice!

He did a very nice job on his routines. Is he old enough to do L5 next year? At our gym, the coach would probably try to point him in that direction. We had a couple of guys this year who weren't, so they had to do the second year competing L4 as six year olds.

I love tiny L4 boys. There is nothing cuter on the planet.

Thank you for your reply! He will be 7 in September so he will be old enough to compete level 5. He is close to having a kip and is working on his level 5 skills. Any suggestions for mushroom? He almost has a circle.

Very cute! I always love watching the little level 4s! He seems to definitely have a passion, and is really developing some good strength that will help as he moves up the levels. Congrats to him on a good first meet.

Mushroom: Practice, practice practice. It will suddenly click and he will be doing dozens. I remember that fro my son. the kip will come and go over the next year or so....it is one of those elusive skills that likes to hide :)

Welcome to CB!

Skschlag, thanks for your response and advice! I built him a mushroom for home and he does 20 to 100 circles a few times a week starting last week...I'm sure it will click soon!

Yep, the only answer to mushroom is time, time, and more time. He'll get it! And what Skschlag said is so true. I used to think that making a skill consistently for a few weeks meant they had it. Now I think that it's after they've lost it and gotten it back for the third time. :D But enjoy the ride! It is really fun, but it happens so fast. Then one day you look up and see that your kid is one of the "big boys" whom all the little guys are watching . . .

Yep, the only answer to mushroom is time, time, and more time. He'll get it! And what Skschlag said is so true. I used to think that making a skill consistently for a few weeks meant they had it. Now I think that it's after they've lost it and gotten it back for the third time. :D But enjoy the ride! It is really fun, but it happens so fast. Then one day you look up and see that your kid is one of the "big boys" whom all the little guys are watching . . .

I will have to remember that about skills! Makes sense...my little one had the round off back handspring down pat. After he learned the power hurdle cartwheel cartwheel he started doing a round off landing one foot before the other so it messed his back handspring up. He's finally starting to get it back! Thanks for your response!

So true :( Overnight..mine is one of the big guys, cheering up the little ones that didn't make regionals. sigh

Thank you for your reply! He will be 7 in September so he will be old enough to compete level 5. He is close to having a kip and is working on his level 5 skills. Any suggestions for mushroom? He almost has a circle.
He is adorable. His level 4 routines look like a good start. My only suggestion for mushroom, is just lots of attempts. Eventually the circles come.

He is adorable. His level 4 routines look like a good start. My only suggestion for mushroom, is just lots of attempts. Eventually the circles come.

Thank you so much! Glad to hear about mushroom just taking time...as its the main area where he struggles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back