new gym: spring floor vs rod floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

VA Gym Coach

This question is for gym owners as well. I need opinions. I am in the process of opening a gym. The space is small (4600 sq ft) with the ability to expand another 1200 sq ft when we are able. Because of the lack of space, we have opted to wait on the full size spring until we expand. Our floor will be 42x36 with 2inch CBF. To make up for our lack of spring floor, we will be purchasing a rod floor (along with a tumble trak). I guess I am just looking for opinions on the importance of having a spring floor right away. I will not be starting with a team as I want to build a strong rec base. And the amount of money we will save waiting on a spring floor is substantial.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else started a gym with no spring floor? Any gym currently operating with no spring floor? If so, how has it been and what do you do to compensate for the lack of springs?

Thanks for reading and I will appreciate any feedback that is given :)

Springs and rods feel substantially different to tumble on. Used right, rods 'help' more. That may factor in for you.

I've been part of 2 artistic programs that didn't have full spring floors for a time, but they both had at least a strip of spring the length of a diagonal.

if at some point you compete, you have to have springs. the transfer from rod to spring, or hard mat to spring can not be translated in a timed warm up.

so if you had a choice between a strip of spring floor and or a rod floor at the beginning, which would go you with?
(we plan on expanding after a year or two into more space available in the building, at that time, we would implement a full spring floor. The highest level we would probably compete until the expansion would be level 4 and 5 at local non sanctioned meets only)

is rod floor bouncier? I think a gym that i have competed at may have had a rod floor and it was SOOOOOO bouncy to the point I couldn't stick my tumble row (i went bouncing up again) What i find that our gym has a really 'hard' sprung floor so it really takes a lot to tumble which is great because when we go to competitions we just fly and our tumbling is amazing. Having said that you don't want to be competitive yet but for the future, that is something to consider. Also if i am correct in saying rod floor is bouncier, you could have a tumble track with rod floor to have an inbetween stage between tramp and floor and then sprung full floor

Unless you are planning on having a T&T program eventually, I would go with a tumble strip (a strip of spring flooring).

Our gym has both. And the team level (4-10) gymnasts do use the rod floor to tumble as a way to take some of the load off I guess. The rod floor is bouncier than the sprung floor but not as bouncy as the tumble trac so it is a medium. I would not recommend using a rod floor and then going to compete places on a sprung floor as the technique and energy use is completely different and if they are only used to a tumble trac and rod floor they will suffer on a regular sprung floor. So I guess my answer would be unless you plan to offer t&t which uses a rod floor for power tumbling I would go with the strip of regular floor.

I would go with a strip of spring floor instead of the tumble trak. Just a personal preference of mine. You will find that there is a lot of money in teaching cheer tumbling so the strip of spring floor will pay off pretty fast depending on what you pay for it. The rod floor is great for preserving the joints but the timing is quite a bit different for moving tumbling.

The gym I'm at now had a foam block floor when I first started coaching there- but we only had up to L7-we now have a full spring floor. I would go w the spring strip rather than a rod floor. The rod floor will get more use for high level tumbling-doesnt sound like you will need that for quite a few years. The spring strip and foam block floor can def get you though L7, maybe L8.

so if you had a choice between a strip of spring floor and or a rod floor at the beginning, which would go you with?
(we plan on expanding after a year or two into more space available in the building, at that time, we would implement a full spring floor. The highest level we would probably compete until the expansion would be level 4 and 5 at local non sanctioned meets only)

spring strip.

There is a gym close to me which has a foam block floor and a sprung strip and they definately have gymnasts competing a half twist. For floor routines they stop the music, go to the strip to tumble and then come back. As others have said, it's not really safe to not have any spung floor experience at all before competiting, even at low levels.
When I teach rec at a leisure centre the floor is foam block. I find I don't have to adapt until flight skills - RO and BHS I use a lot of panel mats, splat pads etc. There is no give in the floor at all so I have to be extra careful to prevent sore wrists.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back