WAG New outfit brag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ErinEclectic

Proud Parent
I just wanted to brag about my gymmie's newest outfit for gym! I made a matching purple asymmetrical skirt for when she goes to dance. Really, dance costumes and gym outfits are just so much fun to sew!
image.jpg

Thanks! Nope, the capris are completely separate. I'll try to get a picture of just the Leo and one with the skirt later. I'm also planning a matching outfit for little sis who starts mommy and me classes soon, except I'm doing shorts instead of capris and the bottom of the Leo will snap like a onesie... As soon as I figure that out!

Do you have a surger machine or a certain pattern. My gimme loves to see and wants to try to make her own leo.

No special machine, all you need to be able to do is a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch. I would love love love a serger but can't find the space in the budget yet.

If you'd like to try sewing a Leo, I highly recommend patterns from Jalie's. It's a company in Canada that has amazing dance, gym, and figure skating patterns, along with regular clothes, swim suits, etc.

Thanks. I will look into that and have her try. I do not sew and know nothing but she has taken to it and we got her a machine for her 13th bday.

My advice for working with spandex is pin, pin, pin, pin, pin! That stuff loves to slide. I always have pins every inch or so.

I LOVE this! I've spent my morning browsing fabrics online for my first attempt that will commence next week.... I'm expecting, bloodt, sweat, tears and - hopefully - a new leo!

That is super cute! I love leos with creative elements- like the shoulder strap. I can't sew worth a stitch, so I'm super impressed! It's got to be cheaper than buying $50-$60 pieces of spandex. Blech!

That is super cute! I love leos with creative elements- like the shoulder strap. I can't sew worth a stitch, so I'm super impressed! It's got to be cheaper than buying $50-$60 pieces of spandex. Blech!
Well, it is cheaper materials wise, but it takes a lot more time to sew than to buy online. Personally, I love being able to make exactly what I want to have but some days I really wish there was an automatic sew button on my machine!

I LOVE this! I've spent my morning browsing fabrics online for my first attempt that will commence next week.... I'm expecting, bloodt, sweat, tears and - hopefully - a new leo!
If you'd like encouragement, advice, anything like that just let me know!

What material do you use. I tried to make a leo once and apparently used the wrong material because it definitely did not stretch the way it should have.

I use 4 way stretch spandex or 4 way stretch Lycra, it goes by both names. It can be hard to find. If you're shopping in person, make sure your fabric stretches every direction. If you're shopping online, I like spandexworld.com or spandexhouse.com. They both have great prices. However, Spandex House can be disconcerting to use. They don't send any verification on your order or any notifications about when your package has shipped. Your fabric just magically appears on your doorstep one day.

I recognise those trousers ! I made P&F a tracksuit using the jalie trouser pattern and a fleece pattern.

I did an asymmetrical one too but she had issues with the straps so ended up plaiting them.

I would recommend the Jalie patterns to anyone.

Wow, incredible job! I am a fairly experienced, adventurous sewer (I sewed a wedding dress and have made lots and lots of other things) but I have never been brave enough to tackle Lycra. I don't know why I'm so afraid! I have heard about the Jalie patterns. They really are easy? I just might have to try making a leo or two for DD. Of course, she doesn't need any...she has too many! ;)

They really are honestly easy! And once you buy a Jalie pattern, you shouldn't ever have to buy it again. It's on thick paper so you trace the size you need off of it . I trace it onto freezer paper, the non shiny side, and then I can iron the pattern piece right onto my Lycra and the wax on the freezer paper makes it stick, but you can peel it right off. And you can iron it several more times after that. And...Jalie patterns come with every size from toddler to adult together.

This is the pattern I would suggest for a first attempt:

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1401925539.583447.jpg

The scoop neck one is really nice and the pattern has a lot of options in it. I love the ones that have the keyhole in have back but my by is can't figure out how to undo them and so she refuses to wear them.

Ooh, I love the fabric of the blue one (A). I wonder if I could find fabric like that....? I might look into doing this over the summer. Thanks for the info! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back