WAG "Olympic Boom"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is your gym experiencing an "Olympic Boom" this year in classes? Those of you who have been through this a few times, how many of these new kids do you expect to retain?

Our gym has seen an increase of girls on team, but that seems to mostly be the normal gym switching for the new season. There are a few new rec girls, but nothing I would call a "boom".

I'm too new to answer your second question.

Yep. Our calls for trial classes increased from around 5 a week, to over 5 a day. Our open house had over 25 new registrations. Since this is my first Olympics at the gym, I have no clue how many we'll keep.

We have now been directed that due to parking issues, no team parents (level 2 and up) are allowed to stay during practice. We are to drop off and leave and come back only for pickup. The idea is to allow the parents of the littler kids to have a place to park since they're going to want to stay. Parking has definitely become much worse post Olympics and the gym looks more crowded inside.

We apparently have double the amount of Rec kids right now verse last fall. Most classes are full, some with waiting lists.

Parking, ugh. That's another issue in itself. The parking lot is usually full, the parking lot of the business across the street is now full (Which gave permission to park there since the busy times are at night and weekends when they are closed) The street is full and now the business up the street is full (which apparently has not given permission and is creating some issues) I literally end up almost stalking people coming to there car in order to get a parking space. It's ridiculous.

Yes...we are experiencing the "boom".

Retention has to do with the quality of your service. Many kids want to do gymnastics because it looks fun. If you have a great...fun program...you will keep them. Very few kids will try if for a session and decide it is not fun...unless your program is not fun.

Same at our gym. Our rec classes are full to overflowing and gym is packed most weeknights with parking pretty much unavailable unless you park across and up the street at other businesses that permit it. The lobby is so crowded that it's almost too much to bear. Thank goodness I only have to pick up once or twice a week. Yay for carpools.

Our gym is having a huge boom--recording setting enrollment right now. Some will drop, but most will stay (at least based on history). I'm not involved in the management (just have friends who are), so I don't know the actual numbers/percentages.

I imagine the retention of kids is largely the same now as it is during other times, just on a much larger scale. Some will have fun with it and stick around for a while, some will get bored and leave pretty quickly, some will be regular rec class attenders for years, and a select handful will remain for the long haul. But it is great exposure for local gyms to get people in the door to see what they have to offer. Even if the kids decide they aren't committed to gymnastics, they now know the gym exists for birthday parties, open gyms, cheer tumbling/fitness classes, or whatever else they have to offer. Pretty good deal for gyms if they can keep their programs running well despite the increase in size!

We have experienced a huge boom. We are a rec gym so our numbers sky rocketed! We are also fairly new so I think some of it is that it is that time of year where parents are looking for activities. But it is great!!

Definitely a boom here - I overheard them in the office saying that there are now 341 kids on the waiting list and the waiting list for daughters old gym was a year before the olympics and has almost doubled since!

Totally, our team hours have been cut down a little because of limited space:( ugh! And, they try to boss the team girls (including me) around, and expect to be as good as us over night. Most quit after a couple sessions.

Who tries to boss you around? The new kids? 99% of the new signups are rec, and they really don't interact with team. I can't think of any scenario's for them to be bossed around.

...i go to a gym with limited space, they come in and think that theyre all that. Though they stopped after the HC noticed and told them to focus on their gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back