One for the parents, skills you don't want to watch your child perform

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meeeshymoo

Proud Parent
Do you have a particular skill that you see in the gym and think to yourself I really don't want my child to do that skill ?

I was watching a girl do a yurchenko vault last week, and it just looked to me to be the most unnatural thing in the world, and my instant thought was eek I don't want dd doing that one !!, of course when the time comes, if indeed it does come I will say nothing and discreetly close my eyes :)

Do you have a particular skill that you see in the gym and think to yourself I really don't want my child to do that skill ?

I was watching a girl do a yurchenko vault last week, and it just looked to me to be the most unnatural thing in the world, and my instant thought was eek I don't want dd doing that one !!, of course when the time comes, if indeed it does come I will say nothing and discreetly close my eyes :)

yes. any skill that the athlete has not been physcially and mentally prepared to perform.:) at meets...i close my eyes quite a bit.

My DD's yurchenko vault & release moves on bars cause me great stress!! I've always said they should sell wine at the meets for the parents :)

I've seen far too many Yurchenkos land under the vault table where if the kid stood up too fast, they'd hit their head.

Beam, anything on beam. I have seen some vaults that scared the life out of me and some terrible tumbling diasters, but beam crashes are just painful.

Release moves on bars, especially when they fly through the air from low bar to high bar. I am compelled to watch the older girls in the gym do bars as it is exciting, but know that I may need to close my eyes when/if dd gets to their level.

My mom can't stand me doing punch fronts. Funnily enough, she has no problem with twisting dismounts on beam, or giants on bars, or anything...but the idea of seeing her "little" girl flip all the way up and over in the air just scares her. Of course, punch fronts are one of my favorite skills.

There is nothing really scary yet with Kadee (L4). But I saw this L10 at a meet that caught the tops of her feet on the high bar during a flyaway. It drove her straight into the ground before she could even realize what was happening. She had just started to wrap herself up to twist..so she couldnt even get her hands back out. She went head first. The sound that came out of her just ripped your heart out. I cant even describe it..didnt sound human. But Im sure others have sadly heard that sound and know what im talking about. She was taken to the hospital..and she ended up just fine. Actually showed back up at the meet for awards. (she fell during first rotation).
Just the thought of something like that happening to Kadee makes me sick to my stomach.

Any release moves above the high bar, like tchakev
Beam doesn't usually scare me but DD had a spectacular crash at states- every part of her body hit the beam on the way down. Thanks god she got right back on it so I could be revived on site.

My dd is competing L5. She hasn't had her first meet yet but everytime she jumps to the high bar it takes my breath. I should mention she is only 4 ft 7.

**sportsmommy**

Well, like dunno, anything unprepared e.g. at a gym comp this girl did a round off flic sault for a bonus and her sault was no higher than 2cm of the ground - the floor was crazy bouncy too (like more so than usual) I would have hated to see it on a relatively normal floor!

When my DD was little I thought Shootovers (*Bailes) were the scariest thing in the world. But then she trained them and I can easily watch those.

Switch Leaps on beam.. For whatever reason those scare me

The first optional meet that I went to(our meet-I was working the session), a L8 or 9 did some sommersaulting vault and landed on her upper back-her knees kept rotating and slammed into her nose. Blood everywhere. She got up, wiped herself off and vaulted again. I was horrified...I thought-oh no! How do I get my dd to give up gymnastics before she gets to optionals? lol.
But I think bars scares me most. I don't watch anymore, but since I work at the gym I have occasion to go out there and speak to coaches. I use tunnel vision and don't watch any of the older girls training, because I'm afraid I will gasp loudly and cause someone to lose focus and fall.
Did I mention that beam scares me, too?
I agree...wine should be sold-at least at the optional levels, lol!!

once my dd hit L6 I stopped watching back hand spring on the beam was enough to make me cringe. Now I wait until my DD asks me to stay and watch a skill because I know it won't look so terrible. She did that a month ago and the L10 were learning new arials on the beam and it was all I could to not to gasp outloud.

When I started flight on beam in L7, my mom stopped watching my beam at meets...And she still doesn't. She'll only watch video of me after the meet, when she knows that I didn't fall/ seriously injure myself.

L8 vault is always interesting at meets. Hopefully you are at the club that is either...

A. Landing on their feet
B. Doing a handspring full

I used to have trouble with the BHS-BLO series on beam but am finally over that. Last yr at her 1st in-house meet, she didn't get credit for the series because the only thing that touched the beam on her BLO was her crotch... :eek:, you'd think she'd get bonus or something... anyways, we are beyond that now. I do always tense up when she does a 1/2 punch front on the floor because that's how she broke her foot, but I think she is beyond that pass now too, so I think I'm ok!

I basically have learned to watch all routines without breathing, so I now know I can hold my breath under water for at least 1.5 minutes!!! See, I've acquired a skill also through this sport! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back