Parents Opinions or Real Situations on Gymnastics in College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am entering my 12th season (6th at level 10) as a competitive gym mom, with multiple gymnasts in our family. Most of the girls I know who have received D1-full ride have been in brick and mortar "old-fashioned" school through most of their high school years. I have no idea about percentages... but yes, gymnasts can go to "regular public school" and still get full athletic scholarships. (I have never heard anything about being a STRONG level 8 by 5th or 6th grade being indicative of a future college scholarship....lol. In all my years in this sport I have seen many of the "winners" at level 8 quit before reaching level 9)
Thank you! Great reply...and regarding the level 8 stuff, I kind of remember some "chart" floating around about where a kid needs to be at what level to be considered for a D1 scholarship? I can't remember and quite frankly, it made my head spin so I mostly blocked it out. :confused:

As a side note, I like that my daughter has multiple things that she does including school. It lessens the impact of peer pressure, clique stuff.

I find by her having different things and sets of friends it lessens the impact of a bad day, week time at any one place.

Gym particularly challenging. She has school and her other activity to prevent her from it being all bad.

Kids at school being pills, she has her gymmie friends and practice to keep her from dwelling on school.

No one place is her be all end all.

In fact it's a way to help, "bullyproof" them.
This.
Love it. In my mind that is what I envision. Thanks much!

Thank you EVERYONE for these great, thoughtful responses! :)
For some reason, the responses weren't all coming to my email, so I didn't know how this discussion had evolved!
I was truly curious. What I am currently hoping for is to find balance in our lives (who isn't??). And it looks like from all of these responses, that many families have found ways to make it all work.
I almost feel silly even asking, as I only have a 6th grader "training" level 8. But of course, as a lot of kiddos want, she talks of college gymnastics. But moving towards middle school and increased hours at the gym, it sometimes all seems a bit daunting.
I saw a couple posts that mentioned how keeping their kiddo in regular school gave them many different "pools" of friends and comfort zones to lean on. I like that. '
I also realize, we are always either one big injury, fear, or loss of love of the sport away from it all just ending tomorrow. So...for our family and my kiddo, I'm striving for "normalcy" as much as possible (whatever normal is, right?). I also want her to know she is more than just a gymnast. That's always been important to me.
I probably should add, and I hesitate a putting this out there, that my DD does have a health issue/diagnosis that keeps me in a bit of a panic (she is well controlled with medicine and my panic has gotten better with every passing month). With advice from her physicians, we have always tried to ensure she gets adequate rest/sleep/nutrition as these may be things we can "control" to ensure she stays healthy. Soooo.....we've been all over the place (homeschool? private school? public school?) trying to make sure she can "do it all" which includes a sport she really seems to love, and also staying in the community/school as much as possible. So, as it stands, our kid is doing public school, and will be late every day for practice. :rolleyes:And I'm totally at peace with that. And...she's pretty excited.
Hope all that makes sense.
And truly, I appreciate everyone's responses. Love the sense of community. Thanks everyone!

How many of you parents/coaches/whoever have seen girls that go all the way to level 10, and receive a gymnastics college scholarship WHILE going to regular public school. Meaning...not online courses, not modified schedules, but full on \, regular old-fashioned 830-330 public school.
I know the whole deal: Gotta be a STRONG level 8 by 6th grade, 5th grade preferably (poor little washed up 6th grade level 8s..please hear the sarcasm:rolleyes::p:D), level 9 by 6th, and a level 10 by ...well you've all seen it. And qualify for Easterns, Nationals...etc etc. I get all that.
But how many of these kids, percentage wise, do you all think or know that have done it while having a normal high school life? Not homeschool.
I'm truly curious.

most of them. :)

Well, just to clear this up - Obviously, homeschooled kids transition fine to more traditional learning environments, whether it be high school or college without any difficulty at all and yes they handle sports right along with it. This, taken with a previous comment about a pp wanting her child to be in school so she has an additional social group/outlet, implies an additional misconception that homeschoolers do not have a school social group. This simply is not true for most homeschoolers, who develop "school friends" through coops, clubs, etc.

We all make our own choices for our children. I am not trying to change anyone's mind. Alternative schooling is not for most families due to lots of reasons. Our society is built on traditional schooling as the norm, but that doesn't mean that alternatives somehow offer a lesser experience. In many ways, for many children, it is just the opposite.

So guys, I'm am no saying one is better than the other...its what is BEST FOR YOUR family.....I can't judge that since I have not done homeschool. ( I really ALMOST did!!)
I have many friends who have have had GREAT experiences with homeschool, and progressed immensely! I have always admired these families.
Im simply giving a viewpoint from a 12 year old that she feels she would rather do both and how she thinks its better in the long run.
I have also heard of some real horror stories too! Kids that haven't pulled their weight in homeschool and have flunked out. But again, this is the same in regular school.
If my DD prefers to do both, and has no problem with the workload, then more power to her (and less work for me!)
After all, we are already driving her to the moon and back with gymnastics anyway!
The point here is can you do a full school load, AND be successful in a D1 team.....Absolutely!!

I don't think we are talking about Little susie who is L3 and is homeschooling because of gymnastics....

This year, after receiving letters home from both my girls' teachers, I think food allergies of other classmates alone would be reason for homeschooling my kids more than Gym would. They both have kids with peanut allergies and poultry allergies in their class, meaning neither of them can have anything that contains these allergens in their snack/lunch. And with one kid who doesn't eat mammals, I'm kind of out of sandwich options.
I realize this isn't at all gymnastics related, and I am not trying to be insensitive to kids with allergies (I mean, why isn't there a vaccine for allergies yet????),I honestly feel for those parents. Just needed a place to vent....

After the way my daughter was treated for eating peanut butter at lunch in a school where peanut butter is permitted in the lunchroom, I had the same thought.

Sorry to hijack the thread. (I know we've gone off on several tangents here)

I think food allergies of other classmates alone would be reason for homeschooling my kids more than Gym would.
After the way my daughter was treated for eating peanut butter at lunch in a school where peanut butter is permitted in the lunchroom, I had the same thought.

LOL. I just wanted to offer an alternative to homeschooling due to lack of food/lunch options at school. We have an active Healthy Eating social group here on CB (open to all :)). There are many members that I'm sure would be happy to help come up with alternative school meal/snack options (if someone wants to post the question).

(disclaimer - I have no issues/problems with anyone that opts to homeschool.)

It's amazing to see it get some level of recognition as a real threat. I had nut and peanut allergies growing up, and people acted like there was no such thing. Field trips would routinely have the school supply PB&J to all kids, with me just eating an apple and some chips. I was once scolded by a teacher for not eating the sandwich.

I have no doubt the airborne nature of the nut allergen frustrates other parents. I'm a walking nut detector. Fortunately, my allergy is not severe, and I don't need an epipen, so I just deal with it when nuts are around.

It's amazing to see it get some level of recognition as a real threat. I had nut and peanut allergies growing up, and people acted like there was no such thing. Field trips would routinely have the school supply PB&J to all kids, with me just eating an apple and some chips. I was once scolded by a teacher for not eating the sandwich.

I have no doubt the airborne nature of the nut allergen frustrates other parents. I'm a walking nut detector. Fortunately, my allergy is not severe, and I don't need an epipen, so I just deal with it when nuts are around.
I get this! My dd has a dairy allergy and people just don't care at all. People will even argue with me about whether she really has an allergy or not.

Thank you EVERYONE for these great, thoughtful responses! :)
For some reason, the responses weren't all coming to my email, so I didn't know how this discussion had evolved!
I was truly curious. What I am currently hoping for is to find balance in our lives (who isn't??). And it looks like from all of these responses, that many families have found ways to make it all work.
I almost feel silly even asking, as I only have a 6th grader "training" level 8. But of course, as a lot of kiddos want, she talks of college gymnastics. But moving towards middle school and increased hours at the gym, it sometimes all seems a bit daunting.
I saw a couple posts that mentioned how keeping their kiddo in regular school gave them many different "pools" of friends and comfort zones to lean on. I like that. '
I also realize, we are always either one big injury, fear, or loss of love of the sport away from it all just ending tomorrow. So...for our family and my kiddo, I'm striving for "normalcy" as much as possible (whatever normal is, right?). I also want her to know she is more than just a gymnast. That's always been important to me.
I probably should add, and I hesitate a putting this out there, that my DD does have a health issue/diagnosis that keeps me in a bit of a panic (she is well controlled with medicine and my panic has gotten better with every passing month). With advice from her physicians, we have always tried to ensure she gets adequate rest/sleep/nutrition as these may be things we can "control" to ensure she stays healthy. Soooo.....we've been all over the place (homeschool? private school? public school?) trying to make sure she can "do it all" which includes a sport she really seems to love, and also staying in the community/school as much as possible. So, as it stands, our kid is doing public school, and will be late every day for practice. :rolleyes:And I'm totally at peace with that. And...she's pretty excited.
Hope all that makes sense.
And truly, I appreciate everyone's responses. Love the sense of community. Thanks everyone!

Just my 2 cents...not trying to be offensive or defensive, but a couple of your post mentioned 'sane' and 'reasonable' theories. I understand the point you were trying to make, but using these kinds of words are somewhat inflammatory as they could be taken as implying that homeschooling a gymnast for the sake of college gymnastics is insane and unreasonable.
Fwiw, my DD does homeschool, gymnastics played a huge role. She is, what I consider, to be in the running for elite so I know the thread is not geared towards talks of those kinds of paths; however, she started homeschooling in the 3rd grade. Elite has always been her goal, but it wasn't much more than that when she was going into the 3rd grade. The deciding factor, aside from more sleep and time to herself, was the fact that she was ridiculed....every.....single.....day. She was called names and made fun of for being short. Teachers did what they could, and DD handled herself very well. She wasn't suffering with any self-image issues. I just thought that if I could save her from dealing with that every day, then the additional time in gym was just icing on the cake. Ftr, there were times that I felt insane and unreasonable, lol! To this day, as she is entering the 6th grade, she still achieves the highest levels on all standardized tests and she is in accelerated classes.

Just my 2 cents...not trying to be offensive or defensive, but a couple of your post mentioned 'sane' and 'reasonable' theories. I understand the point you were trying to make, but using these kinds of words are somewhat inflammatory as they could be taken as implying that homeschooling a gymnast for the sake of college gymnastics is insane and unreasonable.
Fwiw, my DD does homeschool, gymnastics played a huge role. She is, what I consider, to be in the running for elite so I know the thread is not geared towards talks of those kinds of paths; however, she started homeschooling in the 3rd grade. Elite has always been her goal, but it wasn't much more than that when she was going into the 3rd grade. The deciding factor, aside from more sleep and time to herself, was the fact that she was ridiculed....every.....single.....day. She was called names and made fun of for being short. Teachers did what they could, and DD handled herself very well. She wasn't suffering with any self-image issues. I just thought that if I could save her from dealing with that every day, then the additional time in gym was just icing on the cake. Ftr, there were times that I felt insane and unreasonable, lol! To this day, as she is entering the 6th grade, she still achieves the highest levels on all standardized tests and she is in accelerated classes.
Oops...you're right. I use those words a lot probably too much when discussing gymnastics in general...Maybe I'm just having some self-reflection of my own checking my own status of sanity. IF that makes any sense...:p
My apologies and I certainly didn't mean at all to be inflammatory towards homeschooling WHATSOEVER. I was, as you said, just asking about the college path. And just curious as the idea of changing OUR lives (homeschool) at this point seems unreasonable. Nobody else's lives...just ours. So...my apologies. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. And..this is not at all to say we may never go down that path. We very well could homeschool one day. I have no idea what kind of curve balls life is going to throw at us. We are just taking this day by day.
So, I guess using the words reasonable and sane were more just a reflection on what we could handle in our family at this given time.
I knew if I put the question out there, the thread may take some paths of homeschool vs. public school. And at the heart, that wasn't at all my intent. Just curious....if we stay this path in our lives, IF she wanted to do college gym...is it even possible?
I truly think my question might have been spurred by that thing I saw about where a kid needs to be a level 10 by a certain grade (8th grade level 10?) to EVEN BE CONSIDERED? Know what I'm talking about? What was that? I think it was a document posted on here not too long ago...
So then I guess it got me thinking...how often does a kid pull all this off with traditional 8-3 (or whatever) school. Turns out...a LOT of athletes have pulled it off. Which was nice to hear, and was ultimately what I was hoping to hear.
Sorry for the long response and also my apologies.
Mean girl crap in school makes me crazy and I TOTALLY understand your motivations and why it all totally works for you. And how very exciting to have a kiddo on the elite path. That is truly some cool stuff!!!!
Thank you!

I really think it depends on the gym programs available in your area. Certain regions/areas have strong gymnastics programs with good coaches and can offer good training during afternoon/evening hours, so upper level optionals can attend brick and mortar schools without the need for homeschooling or a modified schedule. We don't have any gyms in our area that have produced any college gymnasts in years and years (maybe back in the 80s or 90s??). So, our only option for my girls to get decent training is a modified school schedule. At least for our family, it is providing the best balance time management wise. But do I think it's possible to get a D1 scholarship without homeschooling and/or having a special schedule? Absolutely if you have the right gym programs and enough good coaching staff available in your area. Even so, a D1 college scholarship is a long shot for most gymnasts. Including the multiplying masses of tiny instagram kids doing back handsprings at age 3&4.

Great example! I guess I just wonder if schools work with kids at all...modify schedules? I guess its hard to tell you know? Like I've heard of some getting to opt out of PE, some getting a study hall built in and leaving early. Taking some classes online. But yes, it appears as though this kiddo does it. Impressive. 6th grader committed to Florida. Wow.

she is comitted for 2022- that makes her an 8th grader-- 7th graders are 2023, 6th are 2024 and 5th are 2025 right now.

I definitely think middle schools and high schools should allow high level athletes to get an opt out for PE not necessarily so they can have a shorter schedule and leave earlier, but so that they can fill that time with a study hall, elective class, or something of the like. I went to two different high schools. The first allowed me to skip PE due to the fact that I was training in the rink every day. The second school didn't, I had to take PE, which was ridiculous. When it came to physical fitness testing, I was completely off the charts and broke school records....that alone made me want to say "see? This is why it's stupid that I'm required to take this class, I'm obviously doing fine in the fitness department"
For gym though, schools in the area I live in now are pretty leanient when it comes to modified schedules, at DDs gym, we had a very small number of kids in home school. Even the two girls we had on the national team went to regular public schools, they just left a few periods earlier than the rest of the students. Same with all the girls who got full ride scholarships.
It can very easily be done without home schooling, I think if home schooling is good for your family then go for it! Otherwise there are options that should be addressed first.

I definitely think middle schools and high schools should allow high level athletes to get an opt out for PE not necessarily so they can have a shorter schedule and leave earlier, but so that they can fill that time with a study hall, elective class, or something of the like. I went to two different high schools. The first allowed me to skip PE due to the fact that I was training in the rink every day. The second school didn't, I had to take PE, which was ridiculous. When it came to physical fitness testing, I was completely off the charts and broke school records....that alone made me want to say "see? This is why it's stupid that I'm required to take this class, I'm obviously doing fine in the fitness department"
For gym though, schools in the area I live in now are pretty leanient when it comes to modified schedules, at DDs gym, we had a very small number of kids in home school. Even the two girls we had on the national team went to regular public schools, they just left a few periods earlier than the rest of the students. Same with all the girls who got full ride scholarships.
It can very easily be done without home schooling, I think if home schooling is good for your family then go for it! Otherwise there are options that should be addressed first.

School districts make opting out of PE ridiculously difficult. One mom told me her daughter's district required 20 gym hours to get out of PE. 20?!! For 5 hours of crappy volleyball or basketball or flag football or whatever? How about just minimizing the risk of injury? We have back to school night tonight and I"ll be tracking down our principal to discuss my options for my DD.

PE is an elective in our school district. My DD and her teammates take Spanish, Drama, Band, etc. Can't think of anyone who chose PE. They train 20 hours/week.

DD started homeschooling in her 3rd grade. We did so for many school related reasons. One was because our district was going on strike and another leading reason because my son was graduating and the principal at the school was ruthless. Two big reasons to hightail it put of there. We have stuck with hs b3cause it works for us. DD has grown so much because of it. Idk but the drama in real school is just not for us. I teach in the public school. I see it daily from the adults included.
That being said I am considering placing DD in real high school, albeit we are looking at Christian private schools. DD is a deep thinker and she tends to become aware of what in her mind is right from wrong...idk where I am going with this so I will leave it there.
We are considering brick and mortar because of the fact that there is So much to consider if you are homeschooling. Unless you use an online school type of hs, you can miss out on a lot and IF the girl wants a scholarship not paying attention to what the colleges are looking for in their prospects could be very costly. So much to consider based on the academic requirements per school, and most schools change things regularly I hear. A parent could get lost even One in the education such as myself.
With that however, I still worry about my child's social/emotional needs when next year comes and she is in high school. Why does parenting have to be so difficult?

Our school allows a PE exemption if they complete 2 seasons on a varsity sport (they still have to take health). So my younger dd, who runs track for about 10-12 weeks in the Spring, is exempt, but my 4th year level 10 gymnast is not. It's silly; I think they should at least be able to test out. They had one of those Army or Navy recruiters at their college fair and she crushed the pull up record for men and women for the day, and all these kids she didn't know (she's new to the school) were high-fiving her and telling the teachers. I haven't had any luck convincing them, even though she could probably take the principal out in a little hand-to-hand-combat-challenge :D

She's going to do weigh lifting for her credit, and she is the only girl currently signed up in the class, lol.

We are considering brick and mortar because of the fact that there is So much to consider if you are homeschooling. Unless you use an online school type of hs, you can miss out on a lot and IF the girl wants a scholarship not paying attention to what the colleges are looking for in their prospects could be very costly. So much to consider based on the academic requirements per school, and most schools change things regularly I hear. A parent could get lost even One in the education such as myself.

This is the truth. I know a few parents who are trying hard to navigate the NCAA rules when it comes to homeschool/online school. There aren't a ton of programs that NCAA will accept, the one my friend found she said is absolutely grueling and well beyond grade level (good in the long run but she's doing more homework than my honor/AP student), and even with all this there is no guarantee at the end the NCAA will accept everything. I've heard that some kids end up having to take a couple classes summer after senior year to be eligible, even though they had already technically taken that class, but not through an accepted program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back