Parents Opinions or Real Situations on Gymnastics in College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our school allows a PE exemption if they complete 2 seasons on a varsity sport (they still have to take health). So my younger dd, who runs track for about 10-12 weeks in the Spring, is exempt, but my 4th year level 10 gymnast is not. It's silly; I think they should at least be able to test out. They had one of those Army or Navy recruiters at their college fair and she crushed the pull up record for men and women for the day, and all these kids she didn't know (she's new to the school) were high-fiving her and telling the teachers. I haven't had any luck convincing them, even though she could probably take the principal out in a little hand-to-hand-combat-challenge :D

She's going to do weigh lifting for her credit, and she is the only girl currently signed up in the class, lol.

Our school says the same. But we get around it because in gymnastics they do 1 hour of dance a week and 2.5 hours of strength training which is considered then 3 separate sports.

Mean girl crap in school makes me crazy

Mean girl crap anywhere makes me crazy, even when they are supposed to be grown ups. :cool:

I guess that is why I just could never imagine having my kid do a homeschool group as part of gym. JMO, too much time together. No place to get away.

Great example! I guess I just wonder if schools work with kids at all...modify schedules? I guess its hard to tell you know? Like I've heard of some getting to opt out of PE, some getting a study hall built in and leaving early. Taking some classes online. But yes, it appears as though this kiddo does it. Impressive. 6th grader committed to Florida. Wow.

It depends on the school district. My dd is going into 4th & the school said no because classes in elementary school have all core in the mornings. She would miss the main classes. But our district middle school works around the morning gym schedule. I understand it but kind of feel she's been penalized for being young.

I definitely think middle schools and high schools should allow high level athletes to get an opt out for PE not necessarily so they can have a shorter schedule and leave earlier, but so that they can fill that time with a study hall, elective class, or something of the like. I went to two different high schools. The first allowed me to skip PE due to the fact that I was training in the rink every day. The second school didn't, I had to take PE, which was ridiculous. When it came to physical fitness testing, I was completely off the charts and broke school records....that alone made me want to say "see? This is why it's stupid that I'm required to take this class, I'm obviously doing fine in the fitness department"
For gym though, schools in the area I live in now are pretty leanient when it comes to modified schedules, at DDs gym, we had a very small number of kids in home school. Even the two girls we had on the national team went to regular public schools, they just left a few periods earlier than the rest of the students. Same with all the girls who got full ride scholarships.
It can very easily be done without home schooling, I think if home schooling is good for your family then go for it! Otherwise there are options that should be addressed first.
Our middle school is probably the most strict with this. PE is a non-negotiable. However, I think...somewhere around 8th or 9th and on up, PE is more of an elective. In a lot of ways, high school is much more lenient around here as far as schedule modifications. Not so much for 6th/7th graders. To leave a few periods earlier would be quite helpful.

Mine too....unfortunately she wants to do gymnastics at LSU! I don't have the heart to squash her dreams at this point.
That reminds me of many years ago... my DD wants to go to Univ of Florida. So when was 10 or 11, she asked if she could "do gymnastics" there. I said "I think they have a team, I'm sure you could try out". I had NO idea... Once I schooled myself, I let her know that she could certainly try, but it might be tough...

PE is an elective in our school district. My DD and her teammates take Spanish, Drama, Band, etc. Can't think of anyone who chose PE. They train 20 hours/week.

My daughter loves PE and would sign up for two classes if she could. Some school districts offer elective options for PE that make it quite attractive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back