Passed my level 9 exam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

fuzi

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Just a quick brag: I took my level 9 judging exam last Friday and I passed both sections on the first try. That means I can now judge USAG women's gymnastics through level 9. Thank you to everyone who shared videos of their children for me to practice judge. :)

How wonderful!
I *briefly* considered becoming a judge, but decided I don't trust myself enough to not make my dd crazy. I have been officially out of the sport for almost 20 years, so I limit my input to basic reminders like "arms by your ears," "everything tight," "Look at your hands," trust your body." So crazy how much the sport has changed since my days- I can not even imagine how complicated upper level judging must be. And the start values, connection and difficulty bonuses... Kudos to you for keeping it all straight! The difficulty has gone through the roof yet the safety measures continue to improve. The UB dismount I competed my final year has long since been banned- which is bittersweet. I remember being terrified of that move every time I did it. We called it a bounce-back full, but I think it was officially called a Tanac.

How wonderful!
I *briefly* considered becoming a judge, but decided I don't trust myself enough to not make my dd crazy. I have been officially out of the sport for almost 20 years, so I limit my input to basic reminders like "arms by your ears," "everything tight," "Look at your hands," trust your body." So crazy how much the sport has changed since my days- I can not even imagine how complicated upper level judging must be. And the start values, connection and difficulty bonuses... Kudos to you for keeping it all straight! The difficulty has gone through the roof yet the safety measures continue to improve. The UB dismount I competed my final year has long since been banned- which is bittersweet. I remember being terrified of that move every time I did it. We called it a bounce-back full, but I think it was officially called a Tanac.

and it still is!:)

The UB dismount I competed my final year has long since been banned- which is bittersweet. I remember being terrified of that move every time I did it. We called it a bounce-back full, but I think it was officially called a Tanac.

That skill, a tanac, is actually still allowed in the J.O. code of points. It is banned in FIG rules, but a cast to straddle cut, back salto backwards (tucked, piked, or stretched) is a B, and with a 1/1 or 1 1/2 twist is a C. Mind you, I have never seen a gymnast do it, but I had to know the value for my test.

Crazy! I was back in NH visiting several years back and stopped by my old gym (just in time- the owners of 30 years were selling,) and I was positive my old coach told me that the dismount I loathed was banned. USAG should really take a hint from FIG and just do away with the thing for once and for all. I was very strong on bars, and had no fear issue except for front tumbling on beam, but that gave me nightmares. I worked with a wonderful men's coach for vault and bars, and he had seen someone do it back in his college competition days and insisted I try it. It was fun into the pit, but when I was told to compete it I freaked- truly a hit or miss for me and I had ridiculous scrapes all up and down the backs of my thighs. I never really questioned my coach's judgment- I trusted him implicitly- but that dismount I fought tooth and nail. Obviously, since 20 years later they still remembered enough to mention it. haha!

Congratulations! Saw my first level 9/10 meet last weekend and I can't imagine keeping track of all that stuff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back