Parents Photography question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
I have taken a ton of pics of my ODD in gym, on all events, and I think I am getting pretty good. She loves sharing them with her friends, and our family back home love seeing them. My ODD has a wide open gym and she's often there with few other people, which makes it easy.

But, I have virtually no pics of my YDD because the set up of her gym (and usually her meets) makes photographing her harder. The equipment is all on top of each other and there are usually a ton of kids using it all. Next weekend I will have the chance to take some pics of my YDD in her gym while it's empty- she will be the only kid there. She can use any of the equipment and I can move around freely.

Here's my question. With trampoline, what's the best angle for good shots. Should I be level with it? Shooting up? Shooting down? Every pic I have of her is from far away and from some bleachers at comps- and I only seem to have DM. Also, are there any T&T skills that photograph especially cool or especially awful, in general? There is no leaps or jumps like with my ODD to fall back on.

Her gym is kind enough to give me a little time to get what I need and I want to use it wisely. I don't have a fantastic camera, but it is ok. The gym is very well lit and has pretty good natural light too. These don't need to look professional, since I am not a professional, but I wanna do the best I can. Thanks for any tips!

For perspective, you want to be shooting slightly up, but not dramatically so-think sitting at the base of the trampoline as opposed standing to make it even or below the level of the trampoline to shoot from a more dramatic angle (I hope that makes sense).

For fall back skills, think jumps-straddle, pike, or tuck jumps should all be good pictures from that perspective. If she can do layout style back flips, those photograph really well too. Front flipping skills don't work as well but can be done if you're patient. If your camera can take multiple photos at once, you can try that feature to get good flip photos too, because you wind up with like 20 and can pick the best ones.

Thank you! I was thinking slightly up, so I'm glad I'm not way off base. The camera seems to have a really fast shutter so I can get continuos shots. She can do back straights, so I will try that. You're right- straddle jumps will be my fall back. Thanks again!

For perspective, you want to be shooting slightly up, but not dramatically so-think sitting at the base of the trampoline as opposed standing to make it even or below the level of the trampoline to shoot from a more dramatic angle (I hope that makes sense).

For fall back skills, think jumps-straddle, pike, or tuck jumps should all be good pictures from that perspective. If she can do layout style back flips, those photograph really well too. Front flipping skills don't work as well but can be done if you're patient. If your camera can take multiple photos at once, you can try that feature to get good flip photos too, because you wind up with like 20 and can pick the best ones.
Lol, you confirmed that what i do at open gym is right... I sit near the tramp and take pics or video. :) I just do it that way because I am lazy though, lol.

burst, if you camera has a burst/continuous shoot mode, use it.

By the way: there is a photography social group if you are interested in joining. It hasn't been very active lately, but in the past we have had some good discussions.

It does, but I have noticed the pictures are better when I just keep shooting rather than using burst. Not sure why since I have very little technical knowledge.

Is it because some of the shots are out of focus? It could be that the camera isn't refocussing between shots. If your camera has a "continuous focus" mode then you should use it when shooting bursts.

Is it because some of the shots are out of focus? It could be that the camera isn't refocussing between shots. If your camera has a "continuous focus" mode then you should use it when shooting bursts.
I also find bursts need good lighting and need to be somewhat close or rather not far away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back