Parents Plastic deformity fracture

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

andarc

Proud Parent
So my DD fell from the high bar (doing tap swing of all things) and hurt her forearm. After hours orthopedic clinic said it was a strain and to stay off of it for a few days. 12 days later and it's still hurting so I took her to her her regular orthopedic. She has a plastic deformity fracture. Basically her bone just bent. 3 weeks in a full arm splint. Of course we have state meet this weekend, standardized testing (right arm, right handed) this week, and she also has a flute thing at school next week. We are moving out of state this summer and have scheduled practices at some new gyms during our spring break. The splint will come off a few days after we return. Ugh!
Any one else dealt with this injury. This is not a proud mommy moment for me. I should have brought her back in sooner.

Yes I have seen it, they are also called a Bow Break. The bone bends like a tree branch. Sometimes they bend and break a little (greenstick, fracture). But weirdly enough sometimes they just bend.... You have to treat it like a fracture and the bone will be really sensitive for weeks or months.

Reactions: sce
...you are not a real parent until you have ignored at least one fracture...

So true! DD#3 complained about foot pain, but still ran around on it anyway... no bruising or visible swelling, so we told her to stay off of it - which she ignored. About a month later she was running in the yard and stepped in a hole one of the dogs had dug. I wrap it and give her the crutches (not out 1st rodeo) we schedule a trip to the orthopedist the following morning... the x-ray revealed a small fracture and one that was nearly healed :oops:. A year later DD#4 does plyo and I see her wince, then does standing front tucks and tells coach about pain. Again no swelling or bruising and the next day is her day off... so she goes to school, comes home... xray and mri later... partial ligament tears and a broken ankle. DD#3 was very bothered at how quickly we took #4 to the doc :D.

There was no "guessing" about my DDs broken tibia and fibula. Maybe we should say, "you're not a real parent until you and your orthopedic are on a first name basis and regular texting buddies!!"

The sad part is that I have done it before. Older DD fractured her growth plate in her wrist. 3 weeks later I took her to the dr and it was pretty much healed. Still needed a cast for 3 weeks. Then older DD was having intermittent foot pain. Took me about a month to finally get her to the dr. She has an extra bone in her foot that was rubbing against a tendon or ligament. Tried casting and a boot. Ended up needing surgery to remove it.
I thought I was doing good bring younger DD in immediately. I should have waited a day and not have gone to the after hours clinic. Or brought her back in much sooner.

There was no "guessing" about my DDs broken tibia and fibula. Maybe we should say, "you're not a real parent until you and your orthopedic are on a first name basis and regular texting buddies!!"
My orthopedic now not only recommends places for my mom and I to go to eat, but we now order the "Dr. ______ special":p (my orthopedic's families favorite dish:eek::cool:). Although my best friend managed to get a "free" wrist brace, since he makes so much money off of that family already ;)

But to answer the OP's question... you were not a bad parent. You did bring her in. It's not your fault. I didn't deal with this injury but I had a friend who did.... she was casted for 2 weeks and splinted for I think 3. She came back rather "quickly" for an injury, but like CoachP said, her bone was sensitive for months after. Sending some healing fairies :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back