Pre-optional level 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnast_Emmas_Mom

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I have a dd, Emma who's almost 8 (Friday) who's a level 6. (Just made it) Her coach is considering pre-optional level 7 to prepare her for level 7 and just skip level 6 skills. Is this a good idea? Has anyone heard of this before? And can someone explain to me pre-optional?
Thanks!
-Liss

Hello,
I am a coach who has definitely fast tracked young talented athletes. I wonder why a coach would want to "skip" Level 6 skills as they are the basics for optional gymnastics For instance, on bars the clear hip, tap swings, baby giant and flyaway are definite pre-requisites for Level 7. I'm wondering if your coach is talking about prep optional, hard to know. I would say as long as she is working on her strength and flexibility and learning the required basics w/ good technique and form (not being rushed through) it really wouldnt matter what level she competed.

Unless she is on the elite track, I see no reason to move an athlete this fast through the system. If you gym is not planning to do elite with her, assuming all goes well she will have a LOT of years in level 10- and sometimes those kids get bored/ burned out!

Hope this helps!

Her coach told me the reason why he wants Emma to skip a level is to challenge her more. She's a quick learner and I guess she's already mastered most of the level 6 skills. I think he was talking about prep-optional, something about getting her ready for level 7 competition. How do you know if she's on the elite track?

You may not know, but are you talking about "Prep Opt"? I'm only familiar with that program in region 8 (there are big regional and state differences in the PrepOpt program) but in that region it is highly developed and a nice bridge from compulsories into optionals. Region 8 even has a regional championship for it. The gymnasts can compete "up" and add "bonus" if they can do more, without the pressure to have all of their level 7 skills. They also get their own routines which the girls love.

Many gyms don't compete Level 6 and there very different reasons for it, depending on the gym. Level 6 has some great basics for a developing gymnast, but so does Prep Opt.

A lot of gyms do pre-opt instead of level 6. My daughter did one level 6 meet and went right to level 7..prep-opt didn't exist then and that transision was rough. Prep op lets them feel like an optional even though many are not quite at the level of those skills.

Thats interesting! I my State prep opt is more of an alternative program for kids for whatever reason would not be successful in the USAG program. I'm sure its different everywhere.

I recommend that everyone who asks any questions on this board to talk to their coaches as well. Its great to get opinions from others, but ultimately the coach needs to be part of the mix! (I say this from a coaches perspective!) The parents at my gym ask me a lot of questions via email- I just ask them to keep it succint and give me a couple days to respond. We save face to face meetings for major issues. I would definitely ask the coach what the long term plans are for your daughter- that way you know if they are planning on trying elite or not.

I'm a prep-op! It's really fun. I started competing later than most (I started level 4 at 11), so last year I was 14 and stuck in level 6. I pretty much hated everything about gymnastics at that point in time, so my coaches thought we'd give prep-op a try. It's worked wonders... I'm enjoying myself again!

And the coolest part is being able to use whatever skills you want. There's more flexibility to it... you don't have to do the same thing as everyone else!

If you want to talk or ask questions or anything, send a PM my way. ;)

I thought you could not skip level 6 or any level. You had to go through each in order. So won't she have to compete at least one level 6 meet before going 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back