pullover on level 4 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On the level 4 bar routine, the pullover that is at the beginning (sorry, don't know what the technical name is).....should that be slow and deliberate or fast yet controlled? I've seen it both ways and I wasn't sure which one or does it not matter as long as it's technically right? Also, are they only supposed to "tap" the mat beforehand or can they "bounce" off the mat just before the pullover? My dd is practicing these at home and I don't want her to get bad habits at home.

^^^ meannie...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
then stop have her practicing at home!

OMG! I was just going to say those exact same words!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, you pay the coaches to coach your child in a gym. There is no need to be having your dd "practice at home". The coach should know which way the skill should be performed. Don't worry about it and let the coaches handle it.

I don't have her practice at home, she wants to practice at home. My only rule (and the gym's rule) is that if they are going to practice at home, that they do it technically correct so they don't develop bad habits. Her pullover is technically correct, I'm simply asking about the speed of the pullover in the routine and the tap on the mat just before it.

I understand where you are coming from but the big problem with doing things at home is the not knowing if she is doing it correctly. In a gym setting if the gymnast gets "sloppy" the coach can immediately provide feedback and correct it. At home you cannot.

And my dd wants to do BHSs on the bed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I should allow her. I understand that you want your dd to be the best that she can be and that she loves doing gymnastics and would do it 24/7 if allowed, but there is a time and place for everything. When your dd is a bit older and has competed a few years, you will understand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back