WAG Question about levels, just for fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AgingHippie

Proud Parent
Coaches: What has been the hardest level to coach and why.

Parents: What level is your child and what do you think has been the hardest level so far?

My DD is ending her L5 season next month and says L4 has been the hardest so far. I think is referring to the jump in skills.

Coaches: What has been the hardest level to coach and why.

Parents: What level is your child and what do you think has been the hardest level so far?

My DD is ending her L5 season next month and says L4 has been the hardest so far. I think is referring to the jump in skills.

My DD is competing L7 right now. I'd have to say that each level has it's own unique difficulty skills.
L4 was difficult- as DD was just learning how to compete and had the body control of a baby deer (but she never fell - ok, once on beam, but that was the 1st meet).
L5 was difficult because DD fell on each apparatus. Once it beam, then bars, then floor, then bars again, etc. It was a real confidence shake, but she learned how to move on from a bad event.
L7 was difficult because a fall didn't just meet a .5pt deduction. Add on there: missed connection or lower SV. One fall takes her way out of AA contention.

However, if you're looking just in terms of scoring. L4 was the hardest and L7 is the easiest. ;)

I think scoring can vary region by region so it could depend on what region you are in.

Dd competed old lv 3, new lv 3, scored out of lv 4 and lv 5, competed lv 6 last year and lv 7 this year.

I think the biggest emotional jump was from compulsories to optionals. But my daughter was in a unique situation.

I also think that each level has its own individual challenges.

Just my two cents.

It is very interesting that the two don't always jive. DD did mention 4 was a harder jump in skill and 5 is harder score wise.

The hardest is the first year of level 10 - lol! But at the time, all the other levels seemed hard too. I remember thinking 7, 8 and 9 would be the death of me, but they were nothing compared to 10. And now as a multiple year 10, they really don't learn too many skills... but the fear of a season ending injury looms heavy on the heart and mind. And then add in a little recruiting pressure and it makes those days of "will she get get the kip, giant, yurchenko, series, etc..." seem like a walk in the park. Enjoy it parents and gymnasts because it gets real, real fast!

Parent here,

Whatever level they are at :D, pretty much.

Currently working L5/L6- seems the hardest so far, she seems to be dealing with more "new" skills, as in putting them altogether. And there seems to be a big jump in expectations regarding leaps and turns. Just my ignorant parent perspective.

As a parent L5/L6 is the hardest as in I am starting to worry about falls and injuries. Before it was like she was skiing the greens, now she is heading to the blacks.

DD is currently L8. It seems like this has been the hardest one so far for her - that darn flipping vault! It's such a jump from the front handspring. Also, it seems like bars is kind of tough because if you miss one skill it seems like it can effect the skill following it a little more than all the other levels up to this one. I'm sure I'll say the same things about the next levels coming up too though!

Reactions: sce
The hardest is the first year of level 10 - lol! But at the time, all the other levels seemed hard too. I remember thinking 7, 8 and 9 would be the death of me, but they were nothing compared to 10. And now as a multiple year 10, they really don't learn too many skills... but the fear of a season ending injury looms heavy on the heart and mind. And then add in a little recruiting pressure and it makes those days of "will she get get the kip, giant, yurchenko, series, etc..." seem like a walk in the park. Enjoy it parents and gymnasts because it gets real, real fast!
This post made me barf. Can I just say I am so glad mine is nowhere near there yet.:eek::confused::eek:

...and can I just say that d*** mill circle still gives me nightmares. I don't think my kid would EVER have that thing down, even if she WAS a level 10!
YG competed 3 years of the mill circle (2 years of old L4 and one of New L3). She NEVER got it on the real bars… she did get it on the "baby bar" at the gym 2x… and she got credit for it once in a meet before the "fall" - that judge was trying to be nice, lol… and YG took 1st place on bars that day.
She was so glad to get out of that level and into Xcel Gold.

As a coach (bench coach, but still)… hardest for me is L8 … some of that stuff just can't be explained in words as easy as the lower level skills.
As proud relative, Old L6/New L5. Too hard to watch as OG was competing thru major vestibular issues.

Level 8, easily!!!!. And it was definitely the level that gymnastics stopped being fun for me. Every event was such.a.struggle. She'd get in the car crying after practice often. I still can't believe that she didn't just throw up her hands and quit, and I was preparing, and hoping, for the end... But it came together for her by the end of the season. She's been so motivated to get her 9 skills so she could just move away from 8 and never look back. L9 is still a work in progress, but she's feeling successful and happier, so my enjoyment has come back....

I think at L8 skills become more mental and a gymnast needs to overcome these mental barriers. Once they do, it helps carry them through to L9. Anyway, that's the explanation I've come up with to explain why 9 has been a better experience for my dd.

Hang in there @CameraShy !! :)

Last edited:
I get the impression that the jump from level 8 to 9 is the hardest skill wise.

What is truly the hardest will vary by gymnast and will be based on many things - such as ability, fears, growth, etc.

Mine is just finishing Level 5. I will say Level 4 was much harder for her. The skills from 3 to 4 seemed to be a much larger jump. Super successful Level 3 season followed with a constantly struggling Level 4 season was hard on her emotionally. This year has been lots of hard work and dedication but she's had a much better season and her confidence is back. We're all looking forward to Level 6. I'm ready to enjoy the different music and relax a little before the scary skills come!

Mine is currently L7.
She started competing at L4, then L5 and this year L7. Third season competing.
L4 was the easiest for us, she had all the skills and her gymnastics style wasn't punished too harshly (she is NOT a precise, form aware gymmie... She likes throwing skills and having fun). L5 was rough on her. The skills were more fun but scoring was much pickier and she was in a real slump at the end of the year. Not very motivated.
L7 has been hard as far as there's a pretty big step up in skills needed and form does (and should!!!) become even more important. DD still lacks it. She's enjoying it more because of the more individual routines. Her scores aren't as high as most of her teammates but she is successfully competing all events and steadily improving, so I would say L7 has been a personal success so far.
My gymmie is always in the age group with the super talented little TOPs phenoms so we have learned to not use placements and scores as indicators of how well she is doing. She can't compete with them, at all. To be in her third year competing and doing L7 as 11yo, NOT being a naturally talented gymnast but one that has to truly work for everything.... That's plenty successful!!!

So long story short.... I would say so far, L5 was the roughest year.
I have no clue whether her coach will decide to have her do L7 again next year or try to shoot for L8, it will likely depend on how summer training goes as our gym is big on certain skill requirements for each level. The skill requirements are hardest on the event she struggles with the most..! ;)

My daughter is a 14 year old second year Level 10. I don't think there was any level particularly more difficult than any other level. Every level has their gateway skill and my daughter seemed to handled them I think pretty equally. I don't really think any one level is more difficult than the other because I think the system works in such a way that the progression from one level to the next makes sense and is reasonable. But I agree with 2gymmies above that because of the high incidence of injury and because the skills are now more complicated and require more strength, training and precision, and thus getting back after an injury is more difficult, Level 10 may be the most difficult in that respect. You can get there skill wise, but staying healthy and staying in Level 10 to college can be a challenge.

MAG here, but I'll play anyway. Currently level 10. I'd say the hardest for him was level 6 because skills were getting harder and it coincided with a big growth spurt for him so he was losing things and having to relearn things.

Level 10 is probably hardest for me because skills actually get scary. The other day I missed most of his meet because I was sick and left early, but he crashed on vault and hit his head. I'm glad I missed it. I sometimes hold my breath for high bar too. He's having a lot of fun with it though and is getting used to the occasional crash.

I'll play MAG too.....I would say level 7 right now. Not sure why..just seemed hard. FOr me...level 9 and I am sure 10. I hold my breath all day. IT is scary!

Hardest level to coach: 4 year old pre-school classes...physically and mentally exhausting. 45 minutes teaching gymnastics to 4 year olds is more exhausting to me than spotting new optionals on bars for 3 hours.

I will trade your 4 yo pre-school classes for a 3 year old pre-school class :) Especially the mixed boys & girls class :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back