Question - Level 3 Floor Routine / Scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2G&D

Proud Parent
My daughter's team has a local, non-sanctioned meet this weekend and I have a quick question regarding the Level 3 floor routine. (I'd ask our coach, but she's been away a few weeks for a variety of reasons).

At our last meet, I have seen a skill done one of three different ways:

1. lay on the floor, push up to a bridge, kick-over

2. backbend to a kick-over

3. back walk-over

Our girls did option #1 at our last meet, but it was a skill they were just grasping. So, I'm not sure if the coach felt that would be the "safest" way for them to complete their routines. They are all more than capable of doing option #3 now. However, our "substitute" coach is saying that the correct way (and the way to obtain the best score) would be for them to continue with option #1. While I am certainly no expert here, I thought I had read the routine in the guidebook as option #2.

Does anyone know which is correct?

And, to follow-up, is there a deduction if they did the skill as option #3? Or, is there any bonus for doing option #3?

Thanks for your help!!!

The text states- Bridge, kickover. Im sure the coaches have access to the correct materials & informationa and will steer the girls in the right direction. Even if they are replacing a skill, its for the right reasons, and will pay off in the long run. Its alocal, non-sanctioned, low level meet- enjoy it and the excitement & fun your daughter will be having!

Thanks!

I am enjoying watching the girls... who seem to be having a lot of fun. Being young, they all want to "show off" their skills - including the back walkover, which they do very well. They were conspiring to do it in their routines because they saw it done quite often in Level 3 at their last meet.

The "substitute" coach has not been the one working with them during their coaches absence... but she is the one going to the meet with them. That said, if what she's indicating is correct about the skill itself, they should really listen to her (and as parents, we should reinforce listening to the coach anyway).

Thanks for your help!

Option #1 is correct. It originally was opt #2, but there was an amendment posted several years ago, changing to bridge kickover. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of teams out there that are competing backbend kickover - which I think should cause them to lose the value of the skill - but the judges don't seem to be penalizing them.

Good luck to your little one!!

Option 1 is correct for a USAG competition. However, AAU rules are specific that the gymnast has three options for this skill at Level 3. Bridge to kick-over, back walkover or backhandspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back