Raising money for camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD and her team members want to go to camp for a week. It will cost 450 for the week. Dd has raised around 200 so far. Hubby wants her to raise the rest so she will know that for somethings in life you have to work for it and camp is not a necessity. I need some ideas for her to earn money for this. She is only 10. Currentlly, she is making pompom pends and selling them at a restraunt here in town. I am thinking chocolate sells etc. Anyone know of any other ideas to help her earn the money and learn the lesson her dad is trying to teach her. ;)

Thank you.

LOL-that is what I am hoping he will do. :)But meanwhile, she needs to be showing a good faith effort to earn the money. Her allowance is 5.00 and she is saving all of that plus all her toothfailry money. We will make more pens for her to sell! Those seem to do well. I am hoping that we can do World Finiest Chocolate through the gym. We have done garage sales, and bake sales. :) Next stop lemonade stand when it warms up.

Thanks for your help!

She can walk dogs. She can also walk and feed dogs when people are on vacation in the neighborhood. She can collect mail for people when they are on vacation. She can be a mother's helper (I mean with an adult there too) after school and maybe make 3 dollars an hour or more while the parent puts laundry away or starts dinner. Put signs up around the neighborhood. We had a friends daughter that did this with walking dogs and she made a lot of money. Oh, if she is a good swimmer she can be a mother's helper in the summer and be an extra set of eyes at the swimming pool. Now who can't use that? Hope this helps.

Pity you're so far away - I have a garden that needs weeding!! Do you have any big floors/decks that need a good wash down? (Fun job). Or a bath/shower that needs a scrub?? Or a swimming pol that's needs a scooping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good ideas there. Snow clearing would be good at the moment. I haven't been able to get my car to my house for 3 weeks. Does she come as far as the UK? tee hee

Tell her good luck with that. A great lesson to learn. She will value that camp more and get more from it because of that.

I think it's nice that she's earned 200 towards her camp week but realistically, a 10 year old has no concept of 200 versus 500 versus 1000 dollars so i don't know how fair this is to her. If she works hard at school and gym and behaves well, I think that she's fulfilled her job of being a kid. While I thinks it's good that her dad wants to teach her responsibility, it sounds like she already is pretty responsible with what she's done. What you might want to say to her is that she is responsible for her own spending money at the camp versus the tuition (which seems like a large sum for a 10 year old)

I've had friends who have worked at some of the camps as a tuition trade off...might this be an option for you?

I think it's nice that she's earned 200 towards her camp week but realistically, a 10 year old has no concept of 200 versus 500 versus 1000 dollars so i don't know how fair this is to her. If she works hard at school and gym and behaves well, I think that she's fulfilled her job of being a kid. While I thinks it's good that her dad wants to teach her responsibility, it sounds like she already is pretty responsible with what she's done. What you might want to say to her is that she is responsible for her own spending money at the camp versus the tuition (which seems like a large sum for a 10 year old)

I've had friends who have worked at some of the camps as a tuition trade off...might this be an option for you?

I agree that she has done an awesome job for a 10 year old. :) I can honestly tell you that she has a good concept of money! A very good concept. I imagine that we will pay part of it. Dad is just in tighten the belts mood cause it is after xmas. She does need to earn part of it though. She will get there. :) She has a few more months before it is due.

is this like some sort of street performing? I wouldn't be comfortable with my daughter doing that...

is this like some sort of street performing? I wouldn't be comfortable with my daughter doing that...
yes it is street performing but if you are 10 your mum could supervise i see plenty of 10yo busking around where i live.

are you in the US? because I have never seen any busking where I live or have traveled...

Thanks you all. The only place I have ever seen busking is in the Quarter in New Orleans. LOL Def. does not happen where we live. :) Her coach is very strict on the them about doing tricks outside of gym. She does not want her girls getting hurt.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back