Parents Regular Coach Turnover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

windydays

Proud Parent
Just wondering how common it is for a gym to keep changing coaches within the gym. Last season we had a great coach and my daughters did very well , for summer my girls have different coaches, and when fall starts up the coaching will change again. We aren't getting new coaches in the gym, just rotating coaches within the gym. I really don't see this as a benefit and have seen my daughters "hold back" in training. What is the benefit to doing this? Is this common?

I have no idea, but would love to see what others say about this as well.
It seems like at our gym the rec kids never have 1 Coach and the team coach's rotate.

Yes, I've been wondering that too. At our gym the coaches seem to go with the levels. We had a wonderful L3 coach last season, the parents loved her, the girls loved her, and she loved them. But now that they are training for L4, they were moved to L4 coach. And it's not like L3 coach is not capable of teaching L4, she was working with them on L4 skill from right after states and until the summer schedule started, and was doing just fine. I hate it that they now have to get used to the new coaches.

Our gym has a preteam coach, a L3 coach, L4-L5 coach and optional coach. You move up, you switch coaches. The coaches don't move with the girls. Kinda stinks sometimes because my dd tends to take awhile to warm up and adjust to new coaching styles (she gets comfy about the time she has to switch), but it makes sense to me at the same time.

Our girls coaches change when they go from compulsories to optionals and that is about it. We've been lucky and haven't had a lot of turn over of coaches at the team level.

Fairly common when it comes to compulsory level coaching in a women's program. They graduate from college and move on or have things to do in the summer.

Rarely seen in men's programs though.

Your optional coaches should pretty much be year-round.

Our gym has a preteam coach, a L3 coach, L4-L5 coach and optional coach. You move up, you switch coaches. The coaches don't move with the girls. Kinda stinks sometimes because my dd tends to take awhile to warm up and adjust to new coaching styles (she gets comfy about the time she has to switch), but it makes sense to me at the same time.

The girls are still training the level they will be competing in January. We had one coach from January to May, another set of coaches from June through July (summer training), and we go to fall schedule sometime in August with another switch. It just seems like as the skills get harder that switching coaches would not be beneficial.

Are you perhaps experiencing "event coaching"? We go to event coaching in the summer. HC wants the girls to be familiar with all of the coaching staff and get used to different coaching styles. Of course we are a small gym so we are only talking about four different coaches.

=
ohhh, that's not good. so they completely switch to a different coach on bars etc?

Yes; one of my daughters has a different coach for all four events than she had in spring. My other daughter has a different coach on two events and seems to have regressed on at least one of those events. I am guessing the trust needs to be established again. Two steps forward and one step back, I suppose. For 8 -10 weeks in the summer it seems a waste to change coaches only to have another change in the fall.

Are you perhaps experiencing "event coaching"? We go to event coaching in the summer. HC wants the girls to be familiar with all of the coaching staff and get used to different coaching styles. Of course we are a small gym so we are only talking about four different coaches.

Sounds like this must be the case. Don't think I am a fan of this;)

The regression might not have anything to do with the coaching changes. It might just be a natural thing that will fix itself soon.

The silver lining is that whoever your DD's coach is in the fall, she won't have to adjust to a new coaching style since she has already spent sometime working with her this summer.

One of the reasons we moved to a new gym last year. DD had no Full time coach- all were part time different days of the week and it just wasn't going to work (for her) to progress to upper optionals.

DD's gym is like this. There are four or five compulsory coaches, and four optional coaches with only one or two coaching both optionals and compulsories. We get a new schedule 2 or 3 times per year, and the girls never know what coaches they have been assigned until they get to the first practice of the new schedule. On a typical day the girls will have one coach for vault and bars, and a different coach for floor and beam. They don't have the same coaches every day of the week though. For example, on Monday a practice group might have coaches A&B and Tuesday they have coaches C&D. Only the level 9's and 10's seem to have a lot of consistency.

DD's gym is like this. There are four or five compulsory coaches, and four optional coaches with only one or two coaching both optionals and compulsories. We get a new schedule 2 or 3 times per year, and the girls never know what coaches they have been assigned until they get to the first practice of the new schedule. On a typical day the girls will have one coach for vault and bars, and a different coach for floor and beam. They don't have the same coaches every day of the week though. For example, on Monday a practice group might have coaches A&B and Tuesday they have coaches C&D. Only the level 9's and 10's seem to have a lot of consistency.

How has it impacted your daughter, if at all? Is this all she has ever known?

How has it impacted your daughter, if at all? Is this all she has ever known?

There are pros and cons. I think she might do better with more coaching consistency, IF the coaches were really good. The way it is now, I think the coaches all kind of balance each other out. And they all have different ways of explaining, teaching, and correcting skills, so if it's not clicking with one coach, it might with another. As the girls move to L7 and L8 they usually start to get some time with the girls HC, and as they move to L9 and L10 they get time with HC. Obviously the girls HC isn't going to be L7's primary coach, but by doing the schedule this way, she can find some time to step in and start to work with these girls.

DD's gym is very much like happychaos describes. There are 4-5 coaches who coach compulsory and Level 6/7 and it differs every day who they get. For example, last practice DD had coach A for beam, then coach B for bars, then coach A&C for floor. HC mostly coaches Levels 8-10 but will often step in to coach the lower levels on an event for a practice or two. The coaches seem to balance each other really well as they all have very different coaching styles. We are a smallish gym though, so I can see how this set up wouldn't work in a bigger program.

At our gym we can't keep a coach. DS has had 7 coaches come and go over 2.5 competitive years. Coaches are hard to find not lack of progression because someone new is always training to coach is getting OLD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back