Parents Repeat Level 4 or Struggle through Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a big believer in life first, gymnastics second. I have no problem blowing off the occasional practice for a birthday party or a family day at the beach etc. Meets are a bit different as we only have 3-4 per calendar year, so there'd need to be a really good reason for missing those, but I know some at our gym who have, and everyone has been fine with it. But we don't pay coaches fees or travel or anything like that. We pay one meet fee per gymnast about a month beforehand.

Missing out on life to do gymnastics would only make my kid hate gymnastics.

To get back to the original"L4 vs. L6" question, I lean toward moving up if your DD is on the fence, unless it sacrifices basics that can't be re-learned.

It could be helpful to compare the L4/L6 routines side by side, with your daughter's skills in mind, to sort out whether there will be any essential foundational skills that will be missed by doing L6.

For instance, bars: If she needs work on her kip, she will get to polish it in either level, her cast handstand? Both. If her tap swing needs a lot of work, that's one that might benefit from L4, or if she still didn't have a good back hip circle, it won't help to start free hips. On floor, if her ROBHBH is solid, no need to put off tucks for a year...on second thought, even if they are pretty stinky, she can use a ROBHSBHS pass in L6 and be fine.

Also, Even if it's all about gymnastics, I think staying w/ her group is significant. The stress, anxiety, sadness of leaving a group can effects learning in a substantial way.

I guess I'm concerned to hear that such a young child would quit due to this. There will be seasons of slow progression, this sport is a lesson in perseverance. Repeating to get strong in skills is not always bad. Where is her perception coming from? She needs to hear that she is young and doing great, but some things take time. Repeating isn't a punishment, the goal would be to give her more time and not need to be chasing those level 6 skills.
As her mother, I am concerned too. She is under no pressure from me or her coaches to get these skills, other than gentle encouragement. Level 4 is perfectly fine with me, though the all or nothing training situation does concern me. In her situation, I'd like to see her be able to do some uptraining or at least maintain what she has achieved since the beginning on January, which is quite alot. There is a large gap at the moment between her abilities and the incoming group. A years difference to be exact. It is simply an 8 year old feeling inadequate at being unable to progress as fast as her (older) friends, and being frustrated about it. I want to try and figure out how other people have dealt with this, and what the right solution is so that she comes out of this still enjoying gymnastics a year from now. She is a competitive child in many aspects of her life, but values her relationships with her teammates more than her gymnastics success. She wants to stay with her group of friends, and she wants to do well in gymnastics. And right now she is scared she is going to be left behind by the friends, and she feels like she is not measuring up in gymnastics. Just trying to figure, out how to help her with that since I adore her.

My kid doesn't see it as "missing out on life". She would just honestly rather be doing gym than most anything. She loves going to meets....the restaurants, the hotels, etc. She has made a goal for herself to never miss a meet. She isn't sacrificing anything....she just chooses gym most of the time.

As her mother, I am concerned too. She is under no pressure from me or her coaches to get these skills, other than gentle encouragement. Level 4 is perfectly fine with me, though the all or nothing training situation does concern me. In her situation, I'd like to see her be able to do some uptraining or at least maintain what she has achieved since the beginning on January, which is quite alot. There is a large gap at the moment between her abilities and the incoming group. A years difference to be exact. It is simply an 8 year old feeling inadequate at being unable to progress as fast as her (older) friends, and being frustrated about it. I want to try and figure out how other people have dealt with this, and what the right solution is so that she comes out of this still enjoying gymnastics a year from now. She is a competitive child in many aspects of her life, but values her relationships with her teammates more than her gymnastics success. She wants to stay with her group of friends, and she wants to do well in gymnastics. And right now she is scared she is going to be left behind by the friends, and she feels like she is not measuring up in gymnastics. Just trying to figure, out how to help her with that since I adore her.

My daughter was almost 8 when we changed gyms. She begged me not to, she didn't want to leave her friends many she had known since she was 3. She was also upset that she had to go back a level. She went back to L2 at the new gym. She was a level 3 at the old gym.

It was very difficult time and it broke my heart to see her upset. And it took her a bit, but she is now thriving. A strong gymnast. She has grown by leaps and bounds. Made new friends that she is now attached to. And I know that staying back that year was worth it and she will reap the benefits for a very long time to come. She learned that the details are just as important as the skill if not more. And she had a year to grow physically and get stronger, which helps get the new skills. But the working on the details and the conditioning made a world of difference. And she knows it, she has seen it in her performance. Because she has a frame of reference. This us how I looked last year, now this year doing the same routines. She really gets the detail. I am not sure it would have the same impact if the routines changed.

My kid doesn't see it as "missing out on life". She would just honestly rather be doing gym than most anything. She loves going to meets....the restaurants, the hotels, etc. She has made a goal for herself to never miss a meet. She isn't sacrificing anything....she just chooses gym most of the time.
Yes that is why I mentioned we make choices based on what works for us.

We choose a gym that is a good fit for us.

Our gym gives our families choices. Some never miss a meet. Some do from time to time. Some train lots of days, some less. Some more weekdays and no Sat.
Some less weekdays and every Sat. Some in between.

And the girls get team.

Reactions: COz
I honestly can't see a kid who has the level 6 tumbling, has a solid vault, and was scoring 9s on level 4 bars repeating level 4. I mean, if she had finished up with 7s on bars or even low 8s I could see it. But with 9s on bars I just can't see not giving her at least the summer to train 6. She knows the level 4 routine, so can easily fall back to it and her skills will likely be better.

This is a good point. Kids are different and I try to let each kid lead the type of childhood they want to have as much as possible. My non-gymmie doesn't want to commit as much to her things so I try no to overload her, but I do make her finish what she's committed to. Puma Jr wants to be in the gym as much as possible. Each gym/family/kid is different. :)

This is in part why, I think, Xcel has exploded so much in the last few years in our area. It's a great option for people who want lower and/or more flexible hours and less strict competition requirements. I wish there were enough boys for it to be an option there too. Nothing has emerged to fill the void left by the withering of high school gymnastics for boys.

I disagree that the gym season is any longer than any other sport. Little league runs March through June. Travel ball runs June through NOVEMBER. Our compulsory season is shorter than both - September through November. And I think you can compare team sports - my daughter was often one of the determining scores for our team awards last season. Her team is counting on her to be there. And just because my son's team has 11 kids on it it doesn't mean I'm going to let him miss a game or a tournament because they have enough kids.

but I do make her finish what she's committed to.

However, THIS, is my issue. When you commit to team you commit to team, which means you're committing to the meets too. And you're committing to your kid being there to support her teammates, something that is just as important as her actual performance. I get sometimes the occasional issue comes up or there's a preplanned trip or something, but it shouldn't be the fallback.

As for the original question - I'd rather have my kid have a repeat season AS LONG AS there was uptraining available. If that's off the table then I'd be looking at moving her up, or - honestly, out. My DD's level 4 group is working ROBHSBT and cast to handstands and back walkovers on beam in the midst of the L4 skills. It's a continuum and if the coaches aren't treating it as such it might be time to move on.

When you commit to team you commit to team, which means you're committing to the meets too. And you're committing to your kid being there to support her teammates, something that is just as important as her actual performance.
I totally agree with this. We are going to states a day early to cheer on some teammates actually. But I will say that all gyms are different (I know some things about my gym baffle people!) and if the norm is only going to a few meets, then that's what works for that gym and those families. :)

Last edited:
True. We did six meets plus state last season, and our gym is looking at going to 4-5 plus state. I just don't like the continued characterization of gymnastics as an individual sport alone because at the college meets we've seen, the only awards that are made a big deal about are the team ones. They do recognize the individual event winners, but it's sort of an aside. It really is all about the team, and to watch those girls cheer for each other and rush the floor to lift up a teammate after her routine is truly inspiring. If they only saw gymnastics as an individual sport that wouldn't happen.

If it weren't for the "no uptraining" I would say let her repeat and have some meet success while preparing for L6. That does concern me a bit. However; It sounds like your gym might even consider a move to L7 from L4. Repeating L4 and moving to L7 is not uncommon. Also, I agree she will adjust to a new training group a lot faster than you might think. Either way, she will be with a group of girls a similar age who all LOVE the same thing she loves. It will be fine.
In general, I would say your coaches know whether your dd is likely to get the necessary skills to do well in L6. My dd was about where yours is this time last year. She had L6 skills on floor and beam, and had a decent vault. However, bars were weak. scored in the mid-8's all season as a L4, casts were below horizontal and tap swings were wimpy. But by the beginning of meet season this past December, she started out with 9+ on floor and beam, and by end of season was scoring 9.5+ and winning those two events several times. Vault improved from high 8's to mid 9's and she won some there as well. Bars improved tremendously, but she only placed one time, with a 9.1 AA ranged from high 35's early on to low 37's at the end of the season, but she placed top 3 a few times. Overall, it was a great season for her, even though bars was not stellar. Her weakness in that event kept her out of the AA most of the time, but getting on the podium and making steady progress was encouragement enough. However, if she had not been REALLY strong and ahead of the game in 2 events, it would have been much less "fun". This was her first season to get on the podium consistently. Now that she has a taste of it, I don't see pushing to do a level where you always leave empty handed. Who knows which will be her last season. Even state champs quit.

Also, we changed gyms to a stronger program with more strength training. That is probably why she improved so much rapidly. If you trust your coaches, then realize there will be good in either direction.

Sorry, timed out. We teach our girl valuable life lessons. Gymnastics is an important part of her life and by extension ours life. But it's gymnastics is a part of life. Not life is a part of gymnastics

And our team scores have not been affected by attendance.

I wonder whether there is a correlation between your high event scorers not missing any meets and them being the high scorers. While you say that your team scores have not been affected, any child can have a really good day on an event and contribute to the team score.

I don't see my DD's gym not being family friendly or not recognizing that there are other parts if life. have plenty of gyms that practice many more hours than DD's gym our have s reiteration for being really high pressure. My DD loves everything about competing. She loves the excitement, the butterflies, trying to outdo herself, the post meet lunches with the team, the hotel stays and pool time with her friend, etc. Competitions aren't something that interfere with our families' time. They are a part of the memories the children are making. They are why she is on team rather than in rec. My DD would be bummed if we limited her to three meets plus states.

One if my DD's teammates had a season ending injury in the second meet and still attended every other meet (5 more) with the team. That is the norm at our gym.

I wonder whether there is a correlation between your high event scorers not missing any meets and them being the high scorers. While you say that your team scores have not been affected, any child can have a really good day on an event and contribute to the team score.

I don't see my DD's gym not being family friendly or not recognizing that there are other parts if life. have plenty of gyms that practice many more hours than DD's gym our have s reiteration for being really high pressure. My DD loves everything about competing. She loves the excitement, the butterflies, trying to outdo herself, the post meet lunches with the team, the hotel stays and pool time with her friend, etc. Competitions aren't something that interfere with our families' time. They are a part of the memories the children are making. They are why she is on team rather than in rec. My DD would be bummed if we limited her to three meets plus states.

One if my DD's teammates had a season ending injury in the second meet and still attended every other meet (5 more) with the team. That is the norm at our gym.

I'd like to be able to "like" this post more than once. I love the philosophy here.

No we just have a strong team. High scorers have missed meets. Everyone of the kids is a team player, they root for each other, support each other. We are usually are on the podium.

We only had one meet this year where we placed 2nd as a team, the rest were 1st place. (this was a really good year for us). That was states. No one on our team missed states. Granted its only Level 3. By a tiny fraction.

Again to be clear, everyone does what works for their families. They find a gym that works for them.

I can tell you not one family in our gym would expect an injured kid to attend every meet. Nor would the coaches. As group we are heading to a meet this weekend that requires a five hour drive and a hotel stay. No one would expect a family to incur that expense if they had a kid out for an injury. And I doubt any family would. And if someone wanted to come it would be great. But no zero expectation. They would root for us on our team FB page, we would text, send pics. They cyber cheer us and that is fine. Now the higher Level 8 and 9 girls would probably go injured or not.

Some kids zip through levels and catch up on refinement later.
Some take a slower pace and refine as they go.

If they continue they will all be a the same place eventually, though the path might be different.

Every one will get to a point where they commitment is greater and they decide to move on or not. Some get to a point where they say enough. That line is different for everyone.

I get there are girls who live and breathe gym.

That would suffocate my child at this point. And she is a really an excellent talented gymnast. This is what works for our family and our gym requirements fall in line with that. And a good child gymnast shouldn't HAVE to be so committed they need to exclude other things. If your kid is OK with at, really great. I make choices that work for my daughter. And shouldn't have to either quit or be all consumed at 7,8 or 9 at lower compulsory levels. The higher levels are a whole different ball game. And when my daughter gets to the place where she will have to up her commitment it will her decision to make. And she will make it eyes wide open and if in she will be all in.

Really I get it you all do what works for you and yours. I do what works for me and mine. Neither of us are wrong.

Reactions: COz
Really I get it you all do what works for you and yours. I do what works for me and mine. Neither of us are wrong.

I really do agree with this, and am glad that you are in a place where ou can do that. But in a lot of (most) instances, that choice will affect the other kids. Like I said before, when 1,2, or 3 kids choose to miss a meet, taking the team out of the running, that does affect everyone.

my son said it best one day after practice. One of the boys (in his level) was slacking on conditioning. Coach said the usual" slacking on conditioning will only affect you!"

D got in the car FURIOUS....he repeated that what the coach had said and then went off..."but mom, it affects all of us. We are a team. If one slacks, it hurts all of us. When are people going to realize that?"

But I am glad that, for now, this works for you.

None of our kids are slackers. They just don't attend every meet.

Seriously I can't think of one kid on my girls team who is not all in. They all get along. Various abilities. And actually the one kid who got to her fork in the road and quit. Again the commitment was not for her. Left after states. And they still root us on via FB.

In fact all the girls were all busy with chin up competition at practice yesterday. Monday is our mandatory whole team day. And my girl doesn't say a lot. But she did mention that coach said that their team worked the hardest of all the groups at conditioning. She was beaming about that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back