Coaches return to training after broken arm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

coachinkal

One of the boys I coach has just returned after breaking his arm.

He broke both the Radius and the ulna bones. The break was closer to the wrist than the elbow. About a third of distance between the two. It was a clean break, and did not need to be reset.

Dr gave a clearance certificate and said ok to resume training.

Last week he attended training for the first time since the plaster came off 6 weeks ago and he said everything hurt.

He said it hurt to jump to front support on the p/bars, hurt to hang for 3 seconds on the rings, hurt to handstand. I am not sure how much is actual pain and how much is psychological. I have spoken to parent and suggested a trip to physio may help to assess fully. He seemed really reluctant and scared to try anything.

What experiences have other coaches had with gymnasts - especially boys - who have returned after breaking an arm?

What would be a normal time frame for gymnast to be able to return to normal training.

When my daughter fractured the Growth plate in her wrist she missed 8.5 weeks. 4.5 in a hard cast and 4 in a brace. She was released to full practice with only 2 restrictions. Don't do a lot of repetitions right away ( like BHS on floor for entire practice). And if it hurts stop doing what hurts.

If he is really in paon, he needs to be checked. I am thinking it Is muscle paon & stiffness. But, I am not a doctor. My DD had no pain, but she was a little scared at first that she would break it again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back