Rip Guardian?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We bought it and have had great success....once we figured out how to use it!! It's for temporary relief of a bad rip so that they can keep practicing after a rip happens. It really does stop the pain and allows you to keep going.

We bought it and have had great success....once we figured out how to use it!! It's for temporary relief of a bad rip so that they can keep practicing after a rip happens. It really does stop the pain and allows you to keep going.

How DO you use it? Does it go on the rip or on the grip? Is it hard to get out of the grips? How fast would you go through a tin like that? Maybe I can get the moms of some of Kathy's teammates to go on one with me...

How DO you use it? Does it go on the rip or on the grip? Is it hard to get out of the grips? How fast would you go through a tin like that? Maybe I can get the moms of some of Kathy's teammates to go on one with me...

bar – the Rip Guardian — Gymnastics Coaching.com

It says on their website, each tin can last for up to 20 applications. If your gymnast is working out 4 or 5 days a week and rips a lot it could get expensive!

It's easy once you get use to it...you get 10, about dime size but thick pieces. Depending on the size of the rip you tear some off and spread it out with your fingers...think taffy consistently. After you wash your hands and dry them you put the putty like stuff on the rip...tape it up and put your grips back on (my dd doesn't use grips). Then keep practicing. They have a video on their website you can watch as well. but it's only semi good. If you "like" them on FB and ask for a discount code they will send you one. I got a set of 10 for $15 total.

Not sure what they are made of, but I read in an USAG magazine as a gymnast that taping a balloon on top of a rip could help reduce friction and make working out with it less painful. I tried it and seem to recall it working, but that was many years ago so I can't really say that with any certainty. If she rips a lot if might be worth it to give that a try too, it is much cheaper and maybe easier for her to take care of herself while at camp.

^^ that works also. You just cut part of a balloon, put a little pit of neosporin on the rip, then the ballon tape it and you good to go. it works very well. maybe she could try this next time she rips and see if that helps. it is a lot less expensive and works great

Wow! What an awesome idea! I'll buy some balloons at the dollar store, cut them into various size pieces, and include that with some neosporin in her "rip kit."

I met the woman who invented Rip Guardian-she's aformer gymnast & current coach. She gave me some to try out when the product was really new. I used it when one of my athletes got a HUGE rip the day before Tops National testing. This athlete does not like anything new, I mean nothing, will not wear tape, heel cups, etc. I had to force her to try it because there was nothing else we could do. She actually forgot she was using it, but competed her bars (11 year old-so blinds, front giants, etc) and had no issues or pain- we were both super surprised! Its well worth the $-you actually have to use about 1/4 of each square so it should last a long time. @ workouts/day at camp she will definitely rip-esp if she's also swimming a lot!

you just have to make sure its being used correctly- clean dry skin and a thin coat of the rip guardian-its kind of like "wax" for rips- similar to using wax for braces.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back