Parents Round Off Rebound Help Please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariekannairb

Proud Parent
My daughter is struggling with getting both arms to "pop" her onto her feet coming out of her round off. Basically one arm pushes and the other stays stuck to the ground. As a result she basically stands up and jumps as opposed to rebounding. She nearly has her BHS but of course because of the poor rebound is struggling to do a ROBHS. I think she can do it, I just think it hasn't clicked how to do it. Is there anything we can do to help encourage that arm to push off the ground as well?

How old? Is she in rec, developmental, OT team? How long has she been learning it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

Look at her hands, are the fingers on both hands facing the same way? Or is the hand that is "stuck" pointing in the direction she is going? Bot hands fingers should be pointing the same direction or even towards eachother.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think a lot of it is just time and repetition, and drills. My dd did the same thing, she'd land sort of "flat", and then jump up in the air for her rebound. Lots and lots of practice, and now she seems to actually be getting the "hurdle" at the beginning, and the rebound at the end. They have done a LOT of practice JUST doing the RO... I think it can be tough to link skills together when they don't have both, pretty well on their own. If she "mostly" has her BHS, and "kind of" has her RO, I'm really surprised they are trying to put the two together...

More...more...more...let us know how they look after 1000 more.

[video=youtube;dqEZV4DW8aU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqEZV4DW8aU[/video]

I think a lot of it is just time and repetition, and drills. My dd did the same thing, she'd land sort of "flat", and then jump up in the air for her rebound. Lots and lots of practice, and now she seems to actually be getting the "hurdle" at the beginning, and the rebound at the end. They have done a LOT of practice JUST doing the RO... I think it can be tough to link skills together when they don't have both, pretty well on their own. If she "mostly" has her BHS, and "kind of" has her RO, I'm really surprised they are trying to put the two together...

They don't really. Every now and then (2 times that I can think of) they have let her try. My thought was just that without the RO she won't progress into the ROBHS. She is eager to practice so I will just encourage her to keep trying until it clicks!

It sounds like she needs lots of numbers and a coach that knows what she's ready to hear and correct. That's probably already happening.....so sit back and wait.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back