WAG front tuck, round off backhand spring, and long hang pullover drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m very close to to my front tuck and I’m landing them in a squat inconsistently onto a mat ground level in the pit, but what are some good drills I can set up, preferably on rod or normal floor, I don’t like doing it on tramp because I over rotate and so I don’t punch as hard and then when I go to the floor I feel like I have regressed on it. Also what are good round off backhand drills. I technically have it just with awful form and I want some drills that will make me have a good backhand spring. For the long hang pull over, I just want to know some drills that will help me get the movement right, rather than slamming my body into the bar. Thx

To be honest, we don't know what your form looks like so probably can't give specific drills..

But, some general tips:
Front tuck:
Your chest should be high when setting. Feet in front of your body when taking off helps. Maybe front tuck landing on a higher surface - it will force you to set up rather than forward

Round off back handspring:
Scoop your feet in front of you when you end the round off (you should feel like you're falling back) and then push off maintaining a tight arch. Try to keep your legs close to the ground for as long as you can before blocking and bringing them over. (This is hard - its what I struggled with too)

Long hang pullover:
Don't really have tips here, but try to shoot high and bring your hips over the bar instead of to the bar

I generally teach front tucks to a height, so if it's off tramp - I usually aim for between hip and shoulder height depending on aim and group. On the floor up to a height (knee), the mat is more forgiving on landing and it usually forces a better take off while taking away the fear of landing badly. When this is consistent a sting/thin mat might be used before going on the hard floor. Ideally the gymnast will rarely fall due to under-rotation in the learning process, because they should be proficient and confident with the previous step which is physically harder, but safer and less scary. You can also use a marker on the side as a visual for where your hurdle should start

I think a coach would really need to look at your round off back handspring to choose appropriate drills. One thing you can do is work on connecting BHS to BHS+++ on a suitable surface (tumble tramp). The connection is less complex and will allow you build confidence and focus on form. However poor form is usually a result of poor technique with tumbling.

For your pullover, for recreational athletes and those who struggle with timing - don't swing too big when learning/correcting. You want to think about stopping your body (in a big open) under the bar and then whipping/pulling your hips straight up to the bar from there. You don't need to swing your hips over the bar as the momentum on the whip will help you circle to support like a hip circle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back