WAG Routine Verification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
My gym does something called routine verification. Its normally in mid September and its only for our level 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, and 10s. Its where the gymnasts perform on all events and its really like a practice meet except for the fact that they can vault onto a soft landing instead of competition mats. The point is the get them ready for season and see where they are at. Its also sometimes a mobility meet and there are judges who judge all the gymnasts. If your gymnast scores below a 30 all around its strongly suggested that they repeat the previous levels, if they score from a 30 to a 33.5 they are placed in a separate training group (within their level) to clean up routines and get skills needed to improve start values. If they score 33.5 of higher they are considered ready for the upcoming season and they practice like normal.

If your gym does this or you have heard of one who does tell me because i don't think its very common...even if you haven't tell me below thanks

Our gym does this for optionals but I don’t know about scoring/details bc mine is still a compulsory. I think they call it the eye opener and they make teams of girls from each level and have a competition. Then, the mock meet is a month later. That’s really all I know.

Our boys do one before every meet (optionals).. The day before, you have to show exactly what you plan to compete. If you don't do a skill in that routine you do not do it at the meet.

Our gym does a mock meet at the start of every season. It is essentially to baseline them and see what the expectations are.

We have never had a kid bumped back but they are at minimum skills for the level they are competing.

Personally I hate making move up decisions based on scores (beyond the USAG minimum to score out). If they have the skills to perform at the next level, have met score out requirements for the previous level, a lower score at the new level should not be the decideing factor. That is why its a season. To allow for growth and improvement. If everyone was expected to be peak form for the first meet they could just head to states and be done. Said only a little tongue in cheek. Seriously no shame in starting on the lower end and getting better.

Our gym does a mock meet at the start of every season. It is essentially to baseline them and see what the expectations are.

We have never had a kid bumped back but they are at minimum skills for the level they are competing.

Personally I hate making move up decisions based on scores (beyond the USAG minimum to score out). If they have the skills to perform at the next level, have met score out requirements for the previous level, a lower score at the new level should not be the decideing factor. That is why its a season. To allow for growth and improvement. If everyone was expected to be peak form for the first meet they could just head to states and be done. Said only a little tongue in cheek. Seriously no shame in starting on the lower end and getting better.
Based on the scores OP listed, I think it would be ok... if they score less than 30, it is only strongly SUGGESTED that they repeat the previous level. That means, the parent and gymnast could possibly decline... then, they would probably be funneled into the practice group that works on cleaning up form and improving needed skills. The highest cut-off score (to be in the good to go group) is 33.5... it's not like it is 36+ ;)
Depending on when meet season begins, September may be a little early for that... but it does give more time for the practice group to work.

Our gym does an in-house/mock meet, we just had it on Friday. We do one for the compulsory girls (done usually around August or September) and the one we had on Friday was for the optional girls. It's a sanctioned meet, so the girls can qualify for state and can score out of a level, if that is a goal. We had 2 judges for each event and after each rotation the gymnasts would line up at the judges table and the judges would go over the deductions and what they could do to improve their scores. This is something our gym has done for as long as we have been attending (so for at least the last 5 years).

At the time of this meet the girls all know what level they will be competing (we had one girl score out of level 9 so she could move to 10), so it's not used to determine level. It's used more for the coaches to get an idea of the deductions the girls are getting and to work on those before the first official meet which is usually in mid-December or early January. The judges also tell the girls that they score them pretty harshly, so not to expect any really high scores. My DD managed to qualify for state at this meet on Friday, so that is a huge weight off her shoulders!!

Our gym does an in-house/mock meet, we just had it on Friday. We do one for the compulsory girls (done usually around August or September) and the one we had on Friday was for the optional girls. It's a sanctioned meet, so the girls can qualify for state and can score out of a level, if that is a goal. We had 2 judges for each event and after each rotation the gymnasts would line up at the judges table and the judges would go over the deductions and what they could do to improve their scores. This is something our gym has done for as long as we have been attending (so for at least the last 5 years).
Yes, that is the system we use as well.

our gym does this several times before season. Routine verification in October, then in November, and a mock meet in December. The routine verifications are scored by coaches, and give an idea to the gymnast and parents where they stand before season. Like OP said, at October verification soft mats are used for vault, bar routines may not be connected yet (1st halves and 2nd halves), floor is just tumbling passes (no music yet), etc. November is more like the real deal, and scored harder.

We recently had an in-house for the Optional girls to get official scores from a judge and know where they were so they could work on those things in the next 6 weeks. Technically since there were judges some of the girls could use it to "score out" of 6 and compete 7 this winter? But usually it's just to give them feedback before the official season starts.

We have had two mock meets and have another scheduled after Thanksgiving. I have no idea why we have already competed. Not against it, being prepared and facing your nerves is a good thing.

Our gym does mock meets for the 3/4s and nothing for any other level. I think this all sounds fantastic and I would seriously love to see them implement it. Now how to approach them about it....

We recently had an in-house for the Optional girls to get official scores from a judge and know where they were so they could work on those things in the next 6 weeks. Technically since there were judges some of the girls could use it to "score out" of 6 and compete 7 this winter? But usually it's just to give them feedback before the official season starts.
Level 6 doesnt need to be scored out of because it is the one level that can be legitimately skipped.

Our gym just had a verification of sorts this last weekend. This was our first with this gym so didn't know what to expect. It was pretty cool. They broke the girls into mixed level groups, one for each event and then rotated through the events. They went one at a time, so everyone in the whole gym was standing watching and cheering for each girl. The coaches gave scores and then on monday there will be little awards both silly and legit for individuals and "teams". They were in full comp gear and hair done and such.

It was fun and really helped them get reacquainted with the nerves. My dd found herself very nervous up there are by herself with everyone staring at her. According to her a whole different level than a meet, even though it was just her teammates and coaches. She was not pleased with her performance at all as she let the nerves get to her and made some mistakes on skills she is nailing consistently at practice day in and day out. But, it was the first time she had put together a whole bar routine and it went better than she expected so that was an upside.

I think it was a good wake up call for my daughter and really fun to get to watch all the girls individually. The mixed level teams were a great add.

In about a month they have their first meet. Our area does a pre-season judges critique meet with many of the area teams attending where the girls do their routines and get scored like a real meet, but the judges have notecards that they write down all they symbols, deductions and then they write notes on them. These cards are given to the coaches and our old gym gave them to the girls. Doubt we will get them from this gym. After the rotation the girls also stand in front of the judges and are given critiques about their routines and the coaches are allowed to ask questions and such. This meet is so so helpful.

They don’t need to score out if 6, can
Go straight from level 5 to level 7.

We do event verification for optionals toward the end of summer. Show the skills on each event (could be different days) to see how the skills look. You are given a score 1-5 i believe and this can be used to determine level placement if someone is on the bubble
Then we do an eye opener where optionals compete — they are on teams and each level must have at least one girl per event. Only so many do all around. The team captains pick who does what event. Scores are given and an all around winner is chosen and all around team winner is chosen. It’s not really like a real meet per se but promotes team bonding and the kids really get into team spirit
Then we do a mock meet in December before the season starts. Judges are brought in. This is where you make sure routines are solid and all elements are in place. Judges can let you know if something is missing

Just wanted to add most girls already know their level by the eye opener. It is really more for putting whole routines together. Sometimes for the first time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back