Scoring out?? What is it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you compete level 5 you can only do the skills in the level 5 routines in competition. you can learn and practice level 6 skills, but you can't compete them at level 5. To score out, you need a 31 at a sanctioned meet according to USAG, but some gyms require a different ( higher) score before they will let you compete level 6. Then, you can only compete the level 6 routines at level 6. You cannot change anything in the compulsory levels.

Some girls will for example be at L5 this season but for what ever reason will be moving to L7 this coming season well you have to go through L6 before you can do that. So you can go to one sanctioned meet at L6 and get the minimum score required by USAG to move up a level then you can compete L7 the rest of the season. But keep in mind in addition to the mobility score you actually have to be able to do the skills of the final level you are trying to move to to compete it.

There seems to be some gyms that for some reason want to go from L5, skip L6 and go to L7 and some that want to go from L6 skip L7 and go to L8. My gym doesn't do this but I have see and heard about several that do this.

This link will take you to the USAG page that has the mobility scores on them.
:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview ::

In our state, when gyms want girls to score out, gyms will sometimes bring in a judge and have a little "meet" for those girls. Next month, my DD & her teammates will be doing this for level 6. They all competed level 5 last season & the gym doesn't compete level 6, so they are trying to get the girls to level 7. I know of one gym in our state that doesn't compete level 4 (which is ok, since it's not required), then the girls usually compete 2 years of level 5, they score out of level 6, then they go on to level 7. Every gym has their own philosophy & I can see pros & cons for scoring out & for going through all the levels.

Well, in america you have to score out and do compulsory routines but someone might have been talking about another country where there are bonus's so in that case you can do level 5 with some level 6 skills

I still think its a big jump from L5 to L7 - I really don't see why a gym would compete L6 and opt to just skip it. My DD got alot from it.

My daughter competed Level 5 and 6, one year each. She preferred Level 6 because she said beam was easier. She never liked the cartwheel on beam Level 5 and fell in 2 or 3 meets but hit her back walkover every time at Level 6.

A few years ago, her gym had all the Level 5 girls score out of Level 6 at an early season meet. Every girl then went to Level 7 and every girl spent 2 years at Level 7. So, not sure which is better, scoring out of 6 or just doing each level.

Mostly, I think it's important for the girls to feel successful at the level and if skipping 6 means scoring low at Level 7 and not placing much, I prefer to do each level.

My daughter is on to Level 7 this year and is thrilled. And has listened to a million floor songs! help!

See at my gym no one does level 6 so we have to score out. If we don't get a high enough all around score (a 31.000) then we have to repeat level 5 again. See I am a level 7 right now and had no level 7 skills before I scored out but right now I am in the top of my group.

Hey! So I heard like you can't skip level 5 without competing at least one competition..but then how can you compete level 6 if you do score out? and someone said in the post you can compete level 5 but with some level 6 skills...I don't get that..can someone help me please?? Thank you!!!! :)
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/28047-skipping-level.html

You can "score out" on as many levels as you want. "Scoring out" means getting the minimum mobility score at any given USAG sanctioned meets. If your DD goes to a L5 meet and meets the mobility score to move up to the next level (I think it is 31AA), then she can move up to the next level. She can go to the next meet as a L6 and if she hits the minimum mobility score again, she can then move up to L7. We had a girl two years ago, "start" at L8 (meaning, she competed in 3 meets, each at a different level and "scoring out" of each level). Our aspiring elite also started at L7 at 7 years old.

However, the compulsory levels have all the same skills and requirements. When competing L5 and L6, you have to do the same routine as everyone else. You can however, as a L5, train L6 skills but certainly cannot compete or combine both levels at any USAG sanctioned meet. I think?

This is kind of a random question - but what if a gymnast moved from a different country to America, and they were about a L6 say. Would they have to start competing level 4 in order to get to L6 since their systems work differently? Or would they just move to L6, skipping L4 and L5? (ex: From Canada to America) This question doesn't really apply to me, but I would just like to know out of curiosity.

Im pretty sure you must compete at least one competetion all events in order to skip that specific level. I skipped level 6, and in order to go to level 7 I had to compete one meet all events.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back