Scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meeeshymoo

Proud Parent
A few months ago my dd took part in a voluntary comp. She had a great comp went clean and did really well. She did not medal.

After the comp she looked really disappointed, so I questioned her and the issue was that she knew and felt she did well and was disappointed not to have placed. We knew going in that it was a high level comp. So I showed her the scores, and it was immediately evident that she had no idea of scoring. Had no idea what the D and E scores were.

Her D score was lower for vault and bars, yurchenko not quite there so competing with a 2.4 handspring vs most of the field having s 4.5 D score etc.

So how aware of scoring are your children ?

mine understands it in terms of Start Value and Deductions. Last comp we did she jibbed out of her upstart and her back walkover on beam and the conversation went along the lines of " well your back walkover an upstart were both a 0.5 bonus, so if you had competed them where would you be?" That made her feel better. Mind you she is 9 1/2 .

If she has no idea, you have the ability to present it in anyway you like. For us the boys are still scored out of 10 at the lower levels. Many had their first comp and I gave them a certificate of their scores and told them.

"Ok boys the scores are out of 10". So what is half of 10. And they chime in and say 5. So I said right, any score under 5 is bad and any score over 5 is good.

The thing is they never go under 5, the lowest score I have ever seen is 5.5. All their scores were 7's, 8's and 9's. Even with a big fall is would be mid 6's.

So then when they saw their scores they were over the moon, because they got nothing under 5!

My 7 year old dd knows about start values and how they are higher the more difficult the moves. She knows about all the deductions you can get for wobbles, not pointing your toes and falling off the beam. The coaches are always reminding them saying things like if they did that in the competition they would get 0.1 deducted

She knew about deductions, I think it was the start value she had no clue about.

Talking to one of the other mums she said the same, her dd was also clueless !!

I tried explaining, but got the whole eyebrow raising, you are not my coach look !

Might just ask the coach to explain to them, saves future shocks !

DD understands that there is a d score and an e score. She knows (thoroughly) what the deductions are. That's what they focus on in the gym with regard to scoring.

Beyond that she understands roughly that her routines need to contain various elements to make up the d score, but leaves that to the coaches. As do I. I haven't the faintest idea what values are given to things and my head is far too full of other things to be bothered to try and learn. It goes on the list of things I don't need to know and can leave to someone else!

I am not sure how much DD knows. This will be her first year getting actual scores.

She knows about deductions, she knows a higher score is better, but with the exception of one or two of her friends all girls in a specific level have has the same start value so that hasn't entered discussions.

Her level will however have bonus skills this year so it will be more difficult to explain, other than by looking at what other tummies added to their routines that she did not or vice versa.

She is 9. I'm sure age makes a big difference in understanding the scoring.

My dd now 11 was told about deductions and substitution skills since she was in her first year of competitive (age 9). Age 9 she was with a different club. At age 9 it was more high level but she knew this would be a .1 deduction and this might be a .3 deduction, etc. She was not aware of what the actual number of the start value but she did know if she was at start value or not. Based on what her coach said.
This year her coach (new) sat her down and went over all that again. They talked about her minimum requirements for each apparatus and which skills they want to add in and what the skill score was., how many D and Cs she needed. What the score was on the new skills they wanted to add in.
My daughter said it was a very draining meeting and took about 30 minutes.
Our club has been very transparent with the kids (so I am told) that if you want to be level X then you need the following skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back