Parents Season over! (Whew)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so. This is our first year in xcel. Our gym did compulsories last year, level 3's and 5's we had. Last summer our gym changed to Xcel instead of compulsories. Just prior to this, we picked girls out of our pre team, that we felt had potential, to go up to work with the optional team for the summer. So 3 of the 5 we sent up to work with the optional coaches have stayed with that group. Because we then switched to xcel, they were placed as golds but are with he older team. We have gold and silver on the pre team. So, the optional coaches are working with the xcel golds to get them ready for optionals ultimately......will that happen in 1 -2 year of being in their group...maybe, maybe not. The girls that are with the JO optional girls just have a different end goal. They wont be optionals until they have the skills they need to make it there, in the meantime they are working more hours and uptraining way more than our pre team group. If you knew the girls that moved up and seen their work ethic, and ability to set goals and be coached with ease, you would know why they are with the optional team. They would get bored if they stayed where they were last year. I'm thankful to have the pleasure of watching them grow while on the upper team.
So your gym does no JO until optionals now? Just Xcel with the plan to eventually score out? Do the girls and parents know the plan is EVENTUALLY? I understand about work ethic, and I hear about some of the skills they throw (ie uptraining), but is the technique there as well?

The qualifying score is 28AA, for me that is too low. If I brought my 29 AA that has never competed before this year (4meets) she would be devastated. The girls going are easily scoring 36-38! Yeah, she qualified, but that would be a hard pill to swallow for a first year competetor. There is a good chance I'll get to bring some of my higher scoring girls.....they may actually have a fighting chance. We do have 2months to prepare.
This is also our first year competing Xcel and sanctioned meets, but not yet against power gyms. We placed really good this year so far.
My only fear is that if she does poorly at the meet she's "supposed to do well at" that she'll be much more upset than if she does poorly at states where nothing is expected. I just want her to feel good about herself as the season ends. But again, I will trust in what the coaches think is the right thing to do! :)

Yes we are just Xcel with plans to score out to JO Optional levels. Xcel is the Pre-Team and JO optional girls is the Team. Two different groups. Yes the pre team girls know that the plan is when they are ready eventually. I am the pre team coach. I don't have a hand in what the Team does aside from recommending girls from my group for their group. We do work technique and progressions, shapes, drills etc on the pre team. I know the HC of the team does as well. It was more of just a different situation for the 3 girls that moved up to practice with the optional group since it happend before the change to xcel. Not our typical method.

Sorry for the haphazardly hijacking the thread. It was not my intention to derail things when getting into state meets. Again, My apologies. :)

Talented little ones can struggle. I know mine did this year. She competed L7, her first year as an optional gymnast. Her routines were maxed out for L7 so she didn't score as well as others who competed minimum routines. Her coaches feel that, with higher goals in mind, it is worth the risk to compete the higher level skills for the experience. As the season wore on, watching girls podium with less difficult routines really got to her (she was 8 at the time.) She was moved to L8, scored out, & will not compete in JO again until she's ready at L9. @MrsPuma, my dd will not compete at states this weekend, either. I know it's hard, but with talented little ones, you have to keep the big picture in mind.

I'm not involved, but I took it as this season was to introduce competition skills while heavily uptraining with an eye for optionals sooner rather than later. I don't think it's a terrible plan. The athlete is working on advanced level skills versus compulsory choreography, etc. I don't think Xcel Gold is the end game, here.

Back on topic -

DD had one more meet, plus States to get through. I know she is looking forward to moving up to Level 4 after States. I know I personally am excited to no longer hear the level 3 music 90+ times a meet. Granted, I will just be exchanging that music for the longer Level 4 music. But, DD repeated 3 this season, so it has been 2 seasons. That is almost enough to make anyone crazy. Lol

Talented little ones can struggle. I know mine did this year. She competed L7, her first year as an optional gymnast. Her routines were maxed out for L7 so she didn't score as well as others who competed minimum routines. Her coaches feel that, with higher goals in mind, it is worth the risk to compete the higher level skills for the experience. As the season wore on, watching girls podium with less difficult routines really got to her (she was 8 at the time.) She was moved to L8, scored out, & will not compete in JO again until she's ready at L9. @MrsPuma, my dd will not compete at states this weekend, either. I know it's hard, but with talented little ones, you have to keep the big picture in mind.

I'm confused too. So because she can't win or make the podium in either level 7 or level 8 it's better to skip the rest of the season?

I'm confused too. So because she can't win or make the podium in either level 7 or level 8 it's better to skip the rest of the season?
No, not necessarily, depends on the situation. DD actually placed 1st on floor and in the AA at her L8 meet. For dd, she is preparing for TOPS camp. Regionals are too close to camp dates so there was really no point in her going to states. This way she has plenty of time to prepare for camp as her coaches are planning on taking some really big skills.

Back on topic -

DD had one more meet, plus States to get through. I know she is looking forward to moving up to Level 4 after States. I know I personally am excited to no longer hear the level 3 music 90+ times a meet. Granted, I will just be exchanging that music for the longer Level 4 music. But, DD repeated 3 this season, so it has been 2 seasons. That is almost enough to make anyone crazy. Lol

L3 music was the worst! :eek: I found the flute part in the beginning (middle?) to be particularly grating. Somehow L4 music didn't bother me as much...

I'm not involved, but I took it as this season was to introduce competition skills while heavily uptraining with an eye for optionals sooner rather than later. I don't think it's a terrible plan. The athlete is working on advanced level skills versus compulsory choreography, etc. I don't think Xcel Gold is the end game, here.
You are correct. :)

I guess none of us really know without seeing the gymnasts routines. SO lets get back on track eh.
Sorry! I have heavily contributed to the derailing of this post! Lol But all good info and good to hear different opinions. Back to the title, kind of glad this not stellar season is almost over! :)

Huh, interesting how different coaches' practices are! DS has spent all season working on Future Stars stuff, so on several events his training has been more or less "show me a good routine for L6 and then let's work on the skills you need for FS." His L6 routines have not been as strong as they could be as a result, but his coach thinks the competition experience is important. He'll therefore go to regionals after states, mostly to get more experience with large, highly competitive meets.

DD had a tough year on bars magnified by an ill timed growth spurt. She didn't make it to states this year, so her season is over. But she's happily uptraining and has already achieved one of her summer goals. We're looking forward to great second year of L8!

Good luck!!

Thank you! She had a great workout yesterday, and was back to her usual happy, driven self afterwards. Here's hoping that continues through to state and beyond!

Hope everything goes well for your DD and her plans to move up. For what it's worth, mine competed old 4&5, then a season of XCel platinum, scored out of old 6 at the end of that season, and then did 7 last year and 8 this year. She loved getting to optional routines a year sooner, and coach thought it made sense as the level changes were coming which would make 6 an optional level anyway.

Thank you! She had a great workout yesterday, and was back to her usual happy, driven self afterwards. Here's hoping that continues through to state and beyond!

Hope everything goes well for your DD and her plans to move up. For what it's worth, mine competed old 4&5, then a season of XCel platinum, scored out of old 6 at the end of that season, and then did 7 last year and 8 this year. She loved getting to optional routines a year sooner, and coach thought it made sense as the level changes were coming which would make 6 an optional level anyway.
Good for her! My DD has had a great week at practice too. (Thank God! There was a rough stretch there...) not to get off topic again, but out of curiosity, if the plan is to go back to JO, why do platinum? I assume a kid with platinum skills would be fine for 6. But have have seen other people say that. Just wondering! Thanks a and good luck in the "post season" :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back