sensitivity to the chalk?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
DD has been dealing with an acne problem only on her forehead for about 3 yrs. and she's only 11 right now. They are tiny, red bumps. Sometimes a little pus filled but mostly just bumps. She sees a dermatologist has been on prescription acne creams for a year with a little improvement but not significant. She has only had a few pimples on the rest of her face during this whole time. She used to have bangs, which covered it well but she grew them out at least a year ago. At first I was thinking maybe it was from a sweaty head, causing clogged pores but it just occurred to me that maybe it is more a reaction to something in the gym because when we went on vacation, it almost totally cleared up and she certainly was sweating on vacation. I see her wipe her forehead a lot during bars and wondering if the chalk is irritating that area...

Has anyone encountered this? I am going to consult with the derm. next week but would like some info from others' experiences first.

I really don't know, though my coach did a study in college about how chalk affects gymnasts and the only thing he found was that it makes you go to the bathroom more.

I really don't know, though my coach did a study in college about how chalk affects gymnasts and the only thing he found was that it makes you go to the bathroom more.

Chalk makes you use the bathroom more???? Well, that's certainly something I never would have thought. :scratchchin:

actually, it constipates you. it's magnesium of carbonate. the chalk we use is not in pharma form. and for those that don't know where it comes from, it is mined from the earth.

to answer your question, there are some things in chalk at very low levels and they also use fillers. i would suspect that it is not the chalk, but maybe dirty wristbands. if she is wiping her forehead with the back of her wrist like many of the gymnasts do, it could be the bacteria on the wrist grip and wristband.

i would suspect that it is not the chalk, but maybe dirty wristbands. if she is wiping her forehead with the back of her wrist like many of the gymnasts do, it could be the bacteria on the wrist grip and wristband.

Hmm... Didn't think about that. She uses neoprene, which are less bacteria ridden and I replace them regularly. But I suppose it could be contributing.... Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

actually, it constipates you. it's magnesium of carbonate. the chalk we use is not in pharma form. and for those that don't know where it comes from, it is mined from the earth.

to answer your question, there are some things in chalk at very low levels and they also use fillers. i would suspect that it is not the chalk, but maybe dirty wristbands. if she is wiping her forehead with the back of her wrist like many of the gymnasts do, it could be the bacteria on the wrist grip and wristband.

here we don't say chalk, we say magnesium. is chalk bad for our health?

This is just a guess. Maybe the chalk is altering the pH level on her forehead, and making it easier for bacteria to thrive.

Get the Panoxyl 10% bar or wash to use in the shower. It works as well or better as the prescription for some people. Just be sure to wash off carefully because the product can bleach fabrics if it isn't rinsed out.

here we don't say chalk, we say magnesium. is chalk bad for our health?

well, i've been breathing the stuff since 1964. but now that my nose hairs have turned gray, no one asks me what that white stuff is in my nose anymore when we go out directly after gym. and i recently had a chest xray. i had pneumonia but no 'chalkmonia'.:)

well, i've been breathing the stuff since 1964. but now that my nose hairs have turned gray, no one asks me what that white stuff is in my nose anymore when we go out directly after gym. and i recently had a chest xray. i had pneumonia but no 'chalkmonia'.:)
So... no? Or yes?

well, i would say it's safe. i have been breathing the stuff for 48 years with no ill effects. it's you kids that are not safe to be around...pneumonia for crying out loud...lol. :)

My daughter has been getting these little pimples too, exactly as you describe. She is seven and too young for 'acne' and it started up when she started using grips and upped her hours a lot.

I made the assumption that it is the chalk clogging her pores. When you sweat, obviously the pores open up and can just get blocked up with grime - not unreasonable to think chalk too.

As she's very young and not really self conscious about it I didn't want to use any chemicals on her skin and to be honest chalk would draw out grease from the pores, so combined with traditional acne creams which also do that could just make the skin over-react.

I put a jar of oatmeal in the bathroom and every couple of days we take a handfull, sprinkle a bit of water over it and rub her hands together then gently rub it over her face. The oatmeal just exfoliates the gunk build up away and the emulsifed oatmeal water stuff softens the skin. It seems to have helped a lot.

I put a jar of oatmeal in the bathroom and every couple of days we take a handfull, sprinkle a bit of water over it and rub her hands together then gently rub it over her face. The oatmeal just exfoliates the gunk build up away and the emulsifed oatmeal water stuff softens the skin. It seems to have helped a lot.

Thanks! I will try this with her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back