set backs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i am struggling from a set back on beam. my back walkover. i can do it fine on low beam, but once it comes to the high beam i freak! even with a spotter there. i used to not be scared but all of a sudden i was! what should i do!?? i need help! i have a meet at the end of this month! and would like to compete beam.

Use mats, stack them under the beam and as you feel more comfortable take them out(Until your on the floor). Basically right now your facing a mental block (not a physical one) you can't let that voice in your head that says NO control your body, you do, so think only of your walkover and the right possitions you need to hit before you preform the skill. It's helps me to not think of the worst possible outcome, but of what I want to do(preform the skill flawlessly) I hope this isn't to late :p

Before a scary skill on beam, take a breath and imagine how you do it on the low beam. Remember how well you've done it before, remember that you CAN do a back walkover. Be sure that the last thought in your head is positive, and don't back out. Commit to the skill you are doing. Also, adding up the mats to the height of the beam is a very good idea. It gets you used to the idea of doing the skill on the high beam while still being safe.

Sooooo in general pretty much what Tall_Gymnast said!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back