Side splits problem & question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amir Hussain

Gymnast
Please someone tell me how is a correct side split?I heard a correct one sign is that to be able to touch your knee(from the further leg side) and that is exactly impossible for me.I have no idea how to correct that.please give me suggestions.And my other question is that how much splits are important for men's artistic gymnastics?And what is the goal for training them?How much should I (15 year old guy)train them?everyday?Generally how much should I hold a stretching exercise such as splits to be applicable?

I don't think splits are that important in men's gymnastics, of course you should have them but its not as huge of a deal compared to women's.
Your fix: are you keeping your hips square? In your split, your hips should be straight forward, not side ways and crooked.
Hope this helps:)

Splits will help your single leg pommel swings and flares A LOT.

Active hip flexibility is extremely important for proper presses besides High Bar and PB releases.

I wouldn't say 180 degrees front and side splits are necessary for tumbling but proper flexibility aids tumbling. You want at least 120-135 degrees of split if not 150.

Stretching is pretty complicated but ideally you need to hold it at least 20 seconds for adults and more like a minimum of 30-45 seconds for the stretch reflex to relax.

If you are flexible, it gives you an advantage. For men, not many of them are. Very few have splits flat. I think it's worth it to stretch them. You should gradually increase the amount if time you stretch. That will give you time to get used to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back