Parents Skiing the day before a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to get some other opinions on this. I'm planning our trip out to Colorado for a meet in Feb (pikes peak cup) and according to the tenative schedule it looks like we will be competing on Sunday. (level 6) Would it be a bad idea to spend Sat. up in the mountains skiing? My DD has been skiing since she was 3 so I'm not necessarily worried about her hurting herself, but more tiring herself out? It seems like such a wasted opportunity to fly out there and NOT go skiing.

Yes. I let my son ski, but never the day before a meet. The muscles they use for skiing are different and will be sore. Plus the altitude will wear her out. We will often add a day to ski. We have a meet up in Steamboat this year, and my husband and oldest will get to ski but the rest of us will not :(

We're a skiing family but I wouldn't let them ski the day before. We are however going on a skiing vacation the day AFTER DS's first meet of the year :)

We are a huge skiing family and I'd also not take our DD skiing the day before a meet. We have states this Sunday near beautiful biking (out of ski season, we are a biking family) but will sadly sit around on Saturday instead...

Quads will most likely take a beating - especially for someone who doesn't ski regularly. I would try to ski the day after :)

It's exactly the sort of thing I would tell my kids never to do, but probably would have done myself without hesitation.

*shrug*

How often do you get to ski? And how big of a meet is this? If it's an important meet (ie states, regionals, etc) and you live in an area where you can go skiing any time, I'd skip the skiing. If it's not a major meet and skiing is a rarity for you, then I'd say what the heck, go skiing.

(Disclaimer: I'm the guy who went to an Eagles concert the night before states my senior year, and competed on 3 hours of sleep with my ears ringing for the entire meet. I didn't do well, but didn't particularly care.)

Last edited:
For us, if there were only time to ski the day before, my kids would ski that day. But for my DS, his first love is skiing, his second is gymnastics. If he were ever told no to skiing because of gymnastics he would start to resent gymnastics. We can't ski often due to where we live, but usually get a week + trip in each year at a minimum. To have a chance for an extra day if skiing is sometging that my kids dream about. But... Though they don't get to do it all winter, my kids are all solid skiers. It has been years since skiing has made them sore enough to even comment on it. This isn't true for kids who don't ski at least annually. I imagine the first time on skis after years WOULD make a kid pretty darn sore, so that is worth considering.

We just moved from upstate NY, so while we haven't skied since last winter we did ski at least twice a month for the past few years in the winter. I'm thinking about extending our trip and possibly skiing on Monday, bonus is that it would be much less crowded I'm guessing and we wouldn't have to worry about sore muscles. Thanks for your input!

I actually think the opposite of Geoffrey Taucer. If you ski regularly, I think you're less likely to be sore from a day of skiing. But if it's the first ski of the season or you ski rarely, I think you're more likely to be sore after a day of skiing.

At least, that's true for me, but I'm not so young anymore! But I recall that being the case even when I was young.

But staying to ski on Monday sounds the best to me!

We would ski, in fact my kids probably skied the day before every meet.

I'm guessing your child's coach would tell you not to do it. Would you be able to stay an extra day and ski afterwards instead?

No.

We had a girl that had a soccer tournament the day before a meet.
She came in second to last. Normally she always place top three.......

Why would you do that?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back