WAG Spin off from fear thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallflower

Proud Parent
This is mostly something I'm curious about hearing from coaches about, but anyone feel free to chime in.

I read a lot on here about fear coming around a certain age/certain skill level, etc. It just seems like an inevitable part of the sport and one that some girls can't overcome.

If your gymnast has reached a certain age and level and has not had any fear issues, does that mean that they are unlikely to have any? Is there a point you pass with a gymnast as a coach that you feel like you are confident they will not develop debilitating fears that hold them back?

This is mostly something I'm curious about hearing from coaches about, but anyone feel free to chime in.

I read a lot on here about fear coming around a certain age/certain skill level, etc. It just seems like an inevitable part of the sport and one that some girls can't overcome.

If your gymnast has reached a certain age and level and has not had any fear issues, does that mean that they are unlikely to have any? Is there a point you pass with a gymnast as a coach that you feel like you are confident they will not develop debilitating fears that hold them back?

I also find the fear discussion interesting. I think fear can occur at any age though -- especially if it is triggered by a certain event. For example, a bad fall may trigger a skill specific fear where there hadn't been one before. Or maybe not a fear of the skill as much as fear of further injury can lead to tentativeness of skills that manifests itself like fear.

It seems like vestibular fears are more age based. Puberty (obviously age based) is a really kick, and the body development (size, shape, weight) it brings can really throw off certain skills and that could lead to fears (or self doubt).

I think the skills required for L8 and above are just a different ballgame though. Older ages for girls probably doesn't make learning the skills easier (harder to spot the girls because they are bigger, more awareness on potential injuries, etc.), but regardless of the age -- the skills are just much harder and fear is more like to arise. I came across some videos of my DD from old Levels 4 - 6 this past weekend. I remember feeling stressed then, but as I look back now the skills just seem so ... quaint. I kind of miss "quaint" routines from a worrying perspective, but I would really miss the ups and downs of the current ride.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back