sprained pinky toe--what should i do/avoid?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I recently sprained my pinky toe. I know I shouldn't do things that put weight directly on the toe, but I was wondering what suggestions others have as to what I should avoid and what things I can do while my toe is healing. I'm at a very basic beginner level, so there are no flips or even handsprings (I'm still working on getting my cartwheel right, if that gives you any idea), and I am avoiding beam because of my ankles. We discovered last week that the foam pit is a bad idea.

I don't know anything about how a toe sprain feels or acts, but I recently broke a bone in my foot, so here's some stuff you can do:
-kicks: standing, lying, and kneeling
-bars; everything but dismounts
-floor: you can work on doing rolls taking off and landing on one leg, and turns on your unsprained foot, as well as any conditioning and pretty much any flexibility!

Agree with Mack on this one. Plus make sure you tape the toe or something. I kinda know how it is with bad toes, my 'second-to-pinky' toe dislocates itself pretty much every gym training and occasionally just randomly at home or wherever. Taping it to my middle toe helps it be less uncomfortable.

But maybe concentrate on bars and conditioning for a while!

Thanks. I definitely have been buddy tapping the toe, and I also figured out if I tape/wrap my foot around the front/balls of my foot, it helps me put less pressure on that foot automatically, which I hope will speed the healing. I'm also icing it occasionally and trying to keep it elevated when I can.

Go see an orthopedic doctor!! :doctor: They can tell you what limitations you should have. I'm not a gymnast, just a mom, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back