straight armed kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i need to do a straight armed kip. yesterday i did almost all my kips perfectly, and did an amazing bar routine. today, i could only do a kip with straight arms once today. it wasn't even during a routine either. is there anything i can do to do it with perfectly straight arms? i'm in level 5 too, so i have to be able to finish lifted up so i can go straight into my front hip circle.

make sure you're flicking your wrists when you get to the top, it took me a long time to get my kips good. when you don't flick your wrists you'll usually end up with the bar on you stomach.

To go along with what BeamLove said, make sure you are not squeezing the life out of the bar as this will not allow your hands to shift as well. This is only if you are not using grips.

Two most common issues I've seen:

1) Grip-of-death. As blairbob said, you should have a fairly relaxed grip (and I would argue that this is the case even if you're not using grips)

2) Timing. Most gymnasts initiate the kip too early in the swing cycle. The kip doesn't happen in the front; it happens on the way back. It should start right as you hit the top of the front swing and start back in the other direction. If you kip too early, you'll end up bending your arms.

Remember to keep your legs on the bar. if they come away from the bar, you'll have a really hard time getting your shoulders over it. Also, bending your legs or "kicking" (bending them and then aggressively straightening them) will make it harder to do a good kip. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back