Summer Camps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi there, I was just wondering what gymnastics summer camps are the best ones out there? I know of Flip Fest, Woodward and IGC. But what ones do you recomend going to? My DD's want to go to a gym camp next year, but I have no clue where to send them! I want them to be as comfortable as possible :)

mom_of2

I think you will find loyal followers of all three camps here on CB, and other camps too. Which camp(s) is/are closest to you? If there's a good one not too far away, there's no point in trekking across the country to get to a different one. My DD loves Woodward, and we're lucky that it's only about 40 minutes away. I like knowing that if she got sick or hurt, we could be with her quickly.

I think there is enough diversity in the presentation of the camps that anyone you pick should be good. Are there some close to you? I would try that first incase you get the homesick call. an hours drive is much better than a 5 hour flight. check out your local colleges with gym teams too many of them offer gym camps that are just as good as the 3 you listed.

My DD attended summer camp this year for the first time and she is 7yo. She went to IGC as where we live in Canada there is really nothing that is close.

Not only did she love the camp, I was very impressed that when she was a little sick one day and threw up I got a call from the nurse letting me know and what their thoughts were. They also let me talk to her for a few moments, which i am sure was more for my benefit and peace of mind.

For us it was not about the up-training in the gymnastics, but the personal growth of going away and being on her own in a different environment with people she had never met before. My DD can be rather shy and for me I thought that would be her biggest hurdle. On that level the camp was excellent a I felt the counsellors did a great job at engaging the kids and helping them all fit in and feel like they belong. During her week there no one in her cabin got homesick and there was even a girl from Norway who did not speak English.

From my DD's point of view the camp was a lot of fun! She enjoyed the gymnastics during the day and using facilities way beyond anything she had seen before. The evening events and activities really kept them engaged and gave them the opportunity to meet with all of the campers and have fun. Her only wish would have been that I picked a week where Nastia was there.

Oh well maybe next year!

I am sure the other camps are equally as good, but I would have to say we were very pleased with our choice and my DD is already excited for next year as going back this year (which she asked about) is not an option!

My older dd went to Karolyi's when she was little and I didn't feel it was worth the money - sure it is a fun camp experience but as far as the gymnastics is concerned, we have decided we prefer the small camps that are in private gyms or with College teams. We went to ET's camp at Perfection Gymnastics in Cincinnati Ohio this year - fabulous camp! IN a four day camp, both my girls learned skills that they could actually bring home and still do at home. And they had a great time and want to go back!

I think there are several factors to consider if you're looking at gymnastic camps---age of the child and any experience staying away from home, what type of experience they want to have and the biggest is how much are you willing to pay?
The big residential camps run $800+ for 1 week per child. You might want to look at camps run at colleges near you that offer the overnight and commuter option or even a camp at another gym(assuming your gym is ok with it).

We returned home from WOGA Camp last week. It was wonderful! Because GD is only six we didn't want an overnight camp. We were extremely pleased with the quality and quantity of the coaching staff, and the welcoming atmosphere towards parents at the gym. GD loved it so much that on Friday she had a meltdown (6 year old girls do that so well!!) because it was time to leave.
The 15 hour drive from Florida to Texas was worth it; next year we are definitely flying! ;)

We have had good experiences with Flip Fest, and Sun Country's camp in Gainsville, FL. DD was 7 when the team went to Sun Country, so I went with her and hung out doing my own thing during the day. Instead of rooming with the girls, she stayed in the room with me. It let her have the experience of camp, but still get plenty of rest and have the comfort of knowing I was close by. Our gym also does a team camp, where judges come in and evaluate the skills. Super helpful. If DD is still in gymnastics when she is in high school, she will likely do more in state college camps to let the college coaches get a look at her.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's very much appreciated. As to the closest camp, Flip Fest, IGC and Woodward are all around the same distance for us. We live in Ohio, and we would most likely fly there, so to fly to Tennessee it's about a 45 min flight. To fly to Pennsylvania it's about a 35 min flight...So it's not that much of a difference. (Woodward and IGC are in PA, right?) My hubby and I will end up staying somewhere around the camp just incase the girls get homesick.
@2gymmies - That Ohio camp would deffinitely be an option since we live in Ohio. Do you know where I can get more info about it?

Perfection Gymnastics is the name of the club. Enrique Trabanino is the coach - he used to be at Cincinnati GYmnastics but opened his own gym last year. The gym is in West Chester, a great area, and many convenient hotels and food and stuff to do - Perfection Gymnastics

The camp was in June this summer and a big success so I would think they would have another next summer - I bet you can get on their mailing or emailing list for next year.

I've been going to IGC for 7 years and it is so much fun. it is amazing except: you have to do everything into the pit, the first day is terrible, they don't let you use the high bar, the people are snobby and some coaches are mean

I personally like Flip Fest, but on the other hand, that's the only gym camp I've been to. At Flip Fest, the coaches are nice and fun and you also learn a lot of stuff from them too. There's TONS of stuff to do outside the gym too - there's the ropes course, giant swing, jet skiing, tubing, arts and crafts, beach vball, tie dying, just to name a few things. Your DD's will be so busy, they won't even have time to be homesick! It's probably like that at any other camp as well.

I personally went to Woodward this year and absolutely loved it!! You got to spend a TON of time in the gym but there are also other activity options. I esp. loved the tye dye.
The coaches were also great there. Very nice and helpful!

You mentioned you live in Ohio, Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy (CGA) also has a great summer camp. So does University of Kentucky Gym team. My gym has had girls go to both and they've always had a good time.

This summer I went to IGC and it was loads of fun. The cabins are roomy and comfortable. I became best friends with most of my cabin-mates! The facilities are huge, each one featuring their speciality - giant foam pits. I learned many new skills in a safe environment. The coaches are well trained and know many different ways to teach, catering to many learning styles. One of my coaches may be seen in 2012!!! The theme nights were also alot of fun . . . especially the night with a celebrity.

I would recommend this camp to anyone who is over the age of 9/ anyone who can handle being away from home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back