Parents Summer Goals...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

Dd (7) is about to finish school for the summer (22nd July), according to dd the coach is having the girls come in to train during the day day and her hours will increase from 5 to 10 (maybe more) - this is hearsay at the moment until we get the official word.

Dd gets given conditioning and flexibility home work to do every day once every two weeks, this is written in a book, at the back of the book the coach has put a list of summer goals she wants each gymnastic to try and achieve (don't know if the goal are personalised or if they all have the same ones). My dd has these:

Floor- Round off with straight legs and push off hands
Beam- Cartwheel on the fat or thin beam
Wooden Bar - Chin Circle up (I think from hanging)
Metal Bar - Dish shape, fish and trolley swings
Vault - Handstand Flat back without spot (the mats are nearly dd's height)

Flexibility - Box Splits Down
Conditioning - Straddle Lever, Straddle Lever press to Straddle Stand.

Does anyone one else gets summer goals to work on for the summer break? With the hours that dd says she is doing are these achievable?

P&F has set goals for herself with her coach - we have no comps now till November so she wants to get the following :

consistently land her front twist on floor and her layout,
get her giants on wood bar
get her flick on high beam and her shushanova mount
get her Tsuk on vault

Wow your dd has goals I have never heard off (accept giants). Dd said something yesterday about having a competition in November, if she does it will be her first one.

Haha my mom goal for the summer, same as the past few summers, is to (other than keeping her dydrated, fed, and transported to gym and paying) just pretend gymnastics doesn't exist and not watch, not ask, get a lot of exercise myself...

As complete a mental break as possible for mom. I am paying someone else to do most of the driving in the summer, so why not? If I can't be hiking on a mountain like I want to be, I can at least pretend and not breath any chalk dust for a while. Good for her, good for me. :)

If dd is doing the hours she is saying then I will be dropping and running, dd said she will be able to eat lunch with her team mates. I will stay for no more than 10 mins and then return near the end to try and catch a little bit of the end of session. This will be our first experience of summer training for dd - last summer she was in rec and her hour sessions didn't change except for the odd extra fun session during the day. Dd is excited and not phased by the extra hours, she thought she was doing gym instead of school during the day lol

DD and HC sat down together to set summer goals in May. She will compete L7 with the possibility of L8. According to her list that she keeps on the refrigerator, her goals are as follows:

Vault: BHS up to vault by herself. She won't meet this goal because her coach now has her working tsuks rather than yurchenkos. She is flipping her tsuk and landing on an 8-incher in the pit.

Bars: kip cast HS pirouette (DD says she has this); working blinds. She is also working bails even though it wasn't on her list.

Beam: BHS BHS on medium beam (is doing them on high beam already but not connected), BT on low beam, RO punch off end, switch leap (has this)

Floor: FHS-FLO-FT (done), RO-BHS-3/2 (done); She has been landing FHS-FLO-FLO this week too. She is also throwing her double back in the pit.

Dd informed tonight that she also has to write her own summer goals in her book, this is what she came up with :

Floor - Back handsprings without a spot (either on trampoline, tumble track or floor)
Beam - Cartwheel dismount (not sure the correct term)
Wooden Bar - Back hip circle without a spot
Metal Bar - Giants with a spot
Vault - Handstand Flat back without spot
Flexibility - Splits against the block (something she saw the older girls doing)
Conditioning - Straddle stand to handstand

They were allowed to make the goals as easy or as hard as they liked, for my dd the goals she has chosen will be a challenge for her (May seem easy to some), these are what she really wants to do, she chosen straddle stand to handstand to follow what the coach put as a goal (straddle lever to handstand).

I think my daughter's goal is to have fun and go to the beach etc. as much as possible. My goal for her is to have her wrist MRI come back negative for occult fracture of the scaphoid, and for her to regain full use of her thumb and wrist. And also to not forget how to do the 4 or 5 new skills that she JUST learned right before getting injured. Injuries stink!!

I hope your dd heals quickly. This is my dd's first summer of doing gymnastics training in the summer ( last year she was in a one hour a week rec class), I should imagine that if she is still doing gymnastics when she gets older she will wish she is at the beach with friends instead of the gym.

We are lucky to live at the seaside so can easily go to the beach on non beach days and on the way back from the beach (if they are training during the day - still haven't got the schedule yet and the finish school for the summer in a week and a half).

I don't think my daughter had specific goals set...she competed level 3 in the fall and is training to compete 6 this upcoming season, so her head is spinning trying to catch up.
I think her biggest goals would be too improve her run, get her BHS on beam, flyaway on bars.

I will add these aren't summer goals for my dd I hope not anyway she's had on just got her back flick on floor and back walkover on beam so I'm guessing back flick in beam and twisting are some way of lol

Mine is working towards catching up with some strength and flexibility training. We were at a mediocre gym last year and coming to this new one highlighted the lack of conditioning that was being done at the other one. So her at home work outs are working her towards pre-kip skills. She is also working really hard towards conquering her fear of the handstand on the beam. She is inconsistent but is finally getting there. Last but not least, her leaps. They have come such a long way but have so much more to go before they are where they need to be. She is training level 4 this summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back