Parents Summer planning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

StringBean'sMom

Proud Parent
So, my 9 year old daughter is new to team this year and we are only one week into the increased-length-of-time practices. She is doing well, but it has been quite an adjustment. Looking at the increased intensity and length of work, I'm trying to decide what our best plan is for the summer.

I work part-time, and my work days are currently her gym days unfortunately. Our gym is pretty small, so the summer schedule isn't changing - team practices will remain in the late afternoon/evening, no day practice. My girls go to a great daycare and my husband picks them up from there for a quick shuttle over to the gym for the 3 hour practice. I'm a bit worried about the summer schedule because her daycare does a great job of planning lots of outings and events for the summer.

Sounds like a weird worry, huh? The downside here is that she will likely be getting to three hour practices after a day at the zoo, picnic and park in 90 degree temps or 6 hours at the swimming pool. I'm concerned about wearing her out by asking her to workout after such a full day of activities. I know kids are resilient and more energetic than I, but I know that a workout of that length after a day at the pool would be daunting for me!

It fantastic that we have had a childcare option that keeps the kids busy and having fun in the summer, but now I'm worried that may be problematic for her. I'd love opinions from parents, coaches and gymnasts on whether we should try to find something more low key for those days. We do plenty of activities on my days-off and weekends, so I don't worry that her summer will be less "fun" without the daycare activities. (I guess I worry that it will be less fun *with* the daycare activities because she'll be so worn out the day after practice.). I have no idea what our alternative option will be, but now is the time to start figuring that out!

We weren't up to three hours last summer... however I had the same issue for my 5 year old with her 1.5 hour practice. I found that sometimes she was fine. Others she was exhausted. The worse was after she went indoor rock climbing. She slept really good that night. If activities are the day after or before, she will be fine. Just same day is when they seem to get tired.

PS- you are lucky your gym doesn't change for summer. DD's practices are going from M-TH-F from 4:15 to 6:15 to M-W-F 10:15 to 12:15. My other DD will be T-Th 1:30 to 3:00.. LOL We got the best schedule :)

How many afternoons a week do they practice? I think she will be fine and adjust after a couple of weeks. I'm sure most of the other kids will be busy during the day after going to the pool, camps, daycare, etc..... she can always skip a practice if she's doing something very rigorous during the day and is too tired for gym (like an all day outing at an amusement park or water park).

Her practices are Tues-Thurs 5-8 and Saturday 10-1 with an hour of conditioning on Friday 5-6. I am really glad that we aren't having to scramble for day practices yet! So, yes we are only worrying about two days a week. I just know that she generally comes home pretty worn out from their daytime fun. I don't want to over-work her or to have her end up frustrated because she is too tired to do well at practice - She is a perfectionist (a topic for another thread!)

We had this issue with a little one last summer. The girl was so worn out by practice that she had nightly meltdowns. What worked for that family was pulling her early on those days and having her rest...she had lunch, then had some quiet time watching a movie. She usually ended up falling asleep. Maybe that could work for you and your dd. I don't know what you do for work, but perhaps you could pick her up at lunchtime and have her relax at work with you...read a book, play on the ipad, watch a movie.

I think she'll be fine if she can take it easy on Saturday evening and Sunday! She might be exhausted after practice on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. Maybe you can skip the Friday conditioning if she's too worn out?

My DD gym does an intensive training during the summer... it is 2 mandatory weeks and 1 optional week. It is 6 days for 4 hours in the evening. They normally practice 5 days for about 3 hours so really not alot more lolol

I can not speak for your DD but I know my DD would go to the gym every day all day if I would let her... she has the option to go every day except Sunday but I keep her home on Tuesday for family time and homework catch up. I think your DD will enjoy it, besides she is normally in school those hours she will be at daycare/camp in the summer.

Lol, Yep...mine would be in the gym constantly if she could too! I think that is part of my worry - she won't willing or happily take a day off from gym if she's too tired after a day of outdoor exercise at daycare. In all likelihood, she will handle it all fine, but I do worry about making those couple days too intense for her. I'd rather find a different childcare option so she doesn't I have to make the choice between being good to her body and doing what she loves! That, however, is easier said than done....

I was just realizing that if I was hoping for gymnast or coach opinions too, I probably shouldn't have limited this post to the parent forum! Anyone know if its possible to move a thread to the general discussion forum?

I would say it's nice to have it every "other" day. And if you're not working on the other days, she can rest on the "off" days. If she can sleep in the next day, maybe it's something she can get used to. Or... see how it goes. If it becomes an issue, THEN worry about it. Any chance you can change even one of your work days? I know this can be tricky, but maybe worth a check?

Work is pretty not rearrange-able. I do think the daycare will have at least the June events planned by mid-May, so I should be able to preview the schedule to see just what, if anything, we need to work around. Indoor and more low key days are no big deal...6 hours at the pool in 90 degree temps is another story!

And yes, we will have the day after for her recover, but since those are my days home with both kids, I don't want her little sister to have boring home-days because we are letting big-sister "rest". I already hear the words "it's not fair...." so often these days, I'm beginning to think I changed my name!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back