MAG Swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D has been having trouble all along in general with swings (HB, PB, and SR). HB is improving and pb is getting better but SR seems to be getting worse. I have video if you want to watch. We don't coach at home, and I don't typically give him any suggestions and leave it up to his coach so this is just more for me than anything ;) Sometimes he asks me, but we try to leave it up to the coach. This time, he is looking for suggestions so I thought I would ask the knowledgable coaches here. :) Just for a reference, last year he was scoring low 15's on rings, now we are in the low 14's.

hi i checked out his ring routine on the youtube channel you have in the signature. It doesn't look like he is doing anything particularly wrong. As he gets stronger he need to put more pressure on the rings but that is really the only thing i can see.

Dunno--
it is in my signature :)

Thanks pattymello. He is working on those ring turns. He needs some weight ;)

by ring turns do you mean continuing the back swing all the way over (an inlocate)? To get higher swings and still maintain good technique he should be trying to swing towards and inverted cross position and then applying pressure on the rings. one of the best ways to develop this is for the coach to spot the swings and give him extra lift, allowing him to feel the correct position. I am sure he would probably already be doing this.

I am curious as to whether you have talked to your coach about this and know how he feels about your sons progression with ring swings. It could be that he is right on track and his coach is happy with how he is going.

Also check out this video: Teaching a rings swing......my way - YouTube
I wouldn't go suggesting these drills to the coach but your son could use the video to get a better understanding of what the swing is all about.

We aren't really sure waht is up with his rings. He used to swing much better, but has always struggled with that inlocate. HE did better today, so I am sure we are on the right track. Still not as high as they need to be, but getting up there!

Oh, and by turns I meant turning the rings in and out as he swings :)

His coach is all over it. can't complain at all :) Just not sure where the swings went!! LOL!

sounds like coach knows what he is doing. I would still show your son that video as it will help him gain an understanding of how to improve those inlocates.

PH looks nice. i like the rhythm.
SR just as has been said is a lack of pressure on the rings.
HB just has the usual early tap most gymnasts have.

Thanks guys.

Like I said, at the last meet, rings were better. PB still shaky, and HB about the same. PH is his favorite, so he tends to do well there. His goal this season is a 90 aa, and he is .2 away from it, so I think he is getting antsy ;) States are this weekend....and he is working hard.

Haha, us too -- can't get that kid off the mushroom! Good luck to you. I bet he is going to have a completely fantastic state meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back