WAG The practice after a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wouldn't ever punish, or reward more than a mention if we're talking but thought I have read that some gyms do those things. That's why I asked.

Our meets are usually on Saturdays and no more than 2 a month. When practice rolls around on Monday evening, they stretch, then have a team meeting where they talk about goals achieved, etc. Then it is on with practice. If they have 3-4 weeks before the next meet, they may get a day to uptrain and do fun stuff (especially if there were a number of girls who met personal goals).
Younger gymmie is looking forward to this Saturday's meet because HC told her tonight that she is looking to her to be a leader (just turned 9 yesterday) at the meet because of the 9 girls from our team competing in her session, she is one of the two meet veterans. Then at the next practice after the meet, coach said she might let her join the "Big Vault Club"... something she requested on her last workout sheet :)

No punishing. Girls that did poorly feel bad enough without public attention being brought to it a few days later. Obviously work on the things that they faltered on, but done as a group and incorporated into practice.

We don't do anything more that a few congratulations for AA & event winners, hanging of the banner if one was one and then just get back to work.

Normal practice usually but they will start with the head coach talking about 10 min. Usually congratulating the team members on any personal victories, identifying some area that may need more attention when they get to a specific event. Then on to a regular practice.

If we were at a gym the punished the girl after a meet I would be there past that night.
That should be Wouldn't be there LOL

If the team won a banner/award coach picks a team member to take it home from the meet (best score, best improved etc...). Then they bring it on Monday and everybody notices. Also each kid knows that the first time they hit 9.6 or above there is going to be a leo from the coach (our coach asked to donate unwanted leos and has a stash of them), I do have to say that leo always becomes the most prized leo and is seen often (my DD still wears hers 1.5 years later). Coach always highlights outstanding performances/improvements.

I coach Levels 2&3 and usually we talk a little about the meet as they rotate around their events.
Depending upon when their next meet is usually we up train the week after a meet. We also play little games that are fun but also teach them things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back