Tips for Counter Swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD's tap swings are confusing me a little this year. :confused: Her forward tap swings are gorgeous -- very good body position, going above the top bar. Her counterswings -- they're just okay. The form looks fine, but they're not high enough. Does anyone have any quick pointers, tips or drills to help increase the height of the counterswings? (They go higher on the strap bar as well). Her coaches are very good, but have a heavy accent and I think sometimes some of their points are not fully understood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if you are not a coach and you're speaking about a counterswing that takes the gymnast over the low bar or to a handstand on the low bar, there are to many components that could be misunderstood and cause an injury. some skills can not be discussed and defined properly in this forum without a risk of injury to the athlete.;)

I think we're just talking about tap swings, but even so I'm not sure there's much you can do at home. Usually it just requires a lot of practice to get the timing down and get confidence. It is hard to say without video anyway I think because the whole thing is connected and it would be hard to have perfect front swings but serious problems with the back of the swing. It might just be that she's pretty open in the back rather than pushing down on top of the bar to get a stronger shape change and tap action...but then usually the front swing would be somewhat low (to a various degree, as long as you don't tap too early or rather you sustain the tap position, an open position in the back can work all right...however the compulsory program does not prefer this, probably for safety reasons of peeling in that shape).

Thanks for the comments. I'm referring to the tap swings for L5. She's scoring low 9s, so I wouldn't classify it as 'serious' problems. Her coach keeps telling her she needs her counterswings higher. She's not sure what to do to fix it and keeps asking me. And I have no idea! I know it's nearly impossible without video, but any thoughts are appreciated.

Her coach keeps telling her she needs her counterswings higher. She's not sure what to do to fix it

The coach should be telling her how to fix it. I guess you could always have a chat with her coach, if you get on with the coach okay. It might be a problem of coach thinks s/he is telling her what to do but she is not understanding.

Thanks for the comments. I'm referring to the tap swings for L5. She's scoring low 9s, so I wouldn't classify it as 'serious' problems. Her coach keeps telling her she needs her counterswings higher. She's not sure what to do to fix it and keeps asking me. And I have no idea! I know it's nearly impossible without video, but any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks for pointing out her level. without telling/coaching her precisely how to uprise could find her peeling off the bar. as a rule i do NOT recommend enhancing the uprise part of the level 5 routine because of the risk of flying off. this componenet can be coached and enhanced once they get more proficient and stronger. low 9's is a good score. going higher in the backswing won't give her a 9.9. :)

Head down, body like an L-hang in back swing. She should be looking at her navel and toes. There should be no arch in her lower back.

In fact, it should look like the L phase of the initial jump to the bar in a glide swing.

That is interesting Blairbob. I always look for an arch rather than a pike on the counterswing. Am I wrong to do that and why? I am definitely not teaching the same shape as the jump in the glide swing. I am a definitely more a beginner coach so I am interested in any clarification from you and dunno.

Sorry to the OP to go off your question. If your dd is scoring over 9 I wouldn't worry. But if your dd has trouble understanding her coaches that is a problem that needs some tact to sort out. Good luck with that one.

I would normally look for the counter swing to be continuing the tight "dish" position from the front, and to end up in the position Blair Bob said. Butt up at back, looking at toes, head down.

Definately no arch at the end part of the back of the swing. An arch at the back would be guaranteed to have feet left behind, which would be a big deduction.

Personally I don't consider piking ideal. Flat hips with a hollow "push down" from rounding the shoulders would be more ideal. The compulsory text specifies "straight line from hands to hips with chest in a hollow position with a rounded hip angle." This would imply the gymnast is not piked to the the extent of an L-hang (failure to show the position specified in the back of the swings is up to .2 per swing). "Body arched and/or hips open to an extended position with the feet over the low bar" is up to .3

Hollowing from the chest and showing a straighter body line makes it easier to correctly move between the shapes of the swing/execute a properly timed "tap" action.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back