To switch jobs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was offered a position at a YMCA, Gymnastics Program Director. It is a brand new facility with all new equipment, including a pit. It is a little more money. The problem is, I love the gym I'm at now. I love my co-workers, and my girls. Also, I have a 5 month old baby who I spend my days with. I'd probably have to give that up a little bit. Stuck as to what to do.

It's a tough choice. I worked part time from the time my baby was 4 mos until she was 2. At that point I needed to to get back into my field for some structure and sanity. But ever since then, ( 11 more years) I treasure every minute I can spend with my girl. There is nothing I like more than taking time off from work to do something with her.

I guess there is a time for everything- a time to be a competent and accomplished grown up and a time to be an adoring mother and fan of you little ones. You can never get any of it back, but you can always change the future.

I'm sure that was no help at all. I'd probably take the job, and if it wasn't what I wanted it to be, I'd go back to coaching and spending more time with my baby.

Tough decision, but I'll offer a couple things to think about. Will the job itself be different? For example, are you coaching USAG team currently (versus rec or prep op at the new gym) or will you have more business responsibilities (i.e., less time with the kids) in the new position? Sometimes more desirable work if worth the trade for a little less money. It seems like gyms in our area are always hiring so I can't imagine demand not being there in the future if you want to make a change. Final thought -- babies grow up so fast -- I can't believe my DS (the oldest) is starting high school next year! Cherish the time that you have with them now... it's all fun, but it's not the same.

Tough choice. Is this your dream job? Have you always wanted to be in charge, the director of a program? If so, I would take it. Though coaching jobs can always be found for an experienced coach, the opportunity to direct a program does not come around as often. Good luck!

Tough, though choice. I had a similar sort of decision to make when my oldest (DD) was about 4 months old - nearly immediately after I returned from my leave. Now, I am not a coach in any way, but was offered a promotion at my then job. It was "the" job I had coveted, plus quite the pay raise. Despite some reservations, I took it. I lasted a year. The additional responsibility (and for me, travel) was too much for me. I just missed my little girl.

One disclaimer: my employer was in no way child- or family-friendly and was also a 45-minute commute on a good day, adding to the time away from my infant. My job also required a lot of travel - a good 3-5 weeks per year and that amount continuously increased. All things you may not have to consider!

Just thought I'd throw my experience in the ring. For me, I can't help but wonder if I'd still be working there if I'd never taken the promotion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back