WAG Too light for bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
This might sound stupid, but I'm curious. My dd is a level 5, and although she is 10 years old, she is just 50 pounds and about 4 feet tall. Bars is her hardest event, even though she has great core strength, can do many press handstands, chin up champ, etc. so I don't think it is a strength thing. It seems to be more of a timing thing...the kip took her a long time to master. Is it possible to be too light to create the right kind of weight distribution necessary to time many of the moves on bars? Sometimes it seems like the taller/solid girls have an easier time on bars, but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any correlation with weight?

One of our best level 6 gymnasts doesn't weigh 50 lbs yet, also 10yr old. She scored a 9.8 on bars at States last year, in level 5. I think smaller girls have an advantage, it takes less muscle to lift their weight. Just my opinion, tho.

A high strength:weight ratio - which is often higher for lighter and younger girls - is good for bars. But it may simply be that this girl is not a "natural swinger"...bars just doesn't make sense for some people, while others just love it. Also keep in mind that bars skills change immensely from 5 to 6 and from there on out, so someone who struggles with her kip may wind up being a fine bar worker later on.

My Level 5 dd is almost 40 pounds now and just loves bars - it is possibly her best event. She made her kip the 3rd time she tried it by herself and can jump to the high bar and straight arm kip with the bars set on fig (insanely huge jump for her 44 in. body). I think bars is all about confidence and aggressiveness. i think the only size related issue might be hand size - if they are tiny with little hands, I think bars can be scary sometimes because they often feel like they are slipping off. It will come - as she gets more experience and confidence, I'm sure bars will improve!

WOW, you all have some tiny girls!! :) My DD was over 40 lbs at 4 years old!! Now, at 9, she is about 72 lbs and 4'10". She does well at bars - she's a level 6. But, other girls in her group...both smaller/lighter and those much bigger/heavier, also do well, so I don't see the correlation in my own experience.

I would say she should have an advantage! I was the tallest gymnast on my team, and bars was AWFUL for me because I was so tall! I've heard being too light for vault is true, especially for yurchenkos. But she should definitely be okay on bars!

It sounds as if she's taking too much advantage of her strength to weight ratio and hasn't applied herself to learning the swing mechanics of her skills. That said......yes there is a bit of bounce the bar will provide if you have enough swing, and the less wieght you have....the less bounce you're going to get.

I think some kids use the bounce as a timing reference, so in that respect your dd is at a small disadvantage, but not such a disadvantage as to make learning swing mechanics overly difficult.

This might sound stupid, but I'm curious. My dd is a level 5, and although she is 10 years old, she is just 50 pounds and about 4 feet tall. Bars is her hardest event, even though she has great core strength, can do many press handstands, chin up champ, etc. so I don't think it is a strength thing. It seems to be more of a timing thing...the kip took her a long time to master. Is it possible to be too light to create the right kind of weight distribution necessary to time many of the moves on bars? Sometimes it seems like the taller/solid girls have an easier time on bars, but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any correlation with weight?

no, there is no correlation.

Thanks for the input. I guess the "mystery" continues. She is not bad at bars, it just doesn't come as easily as the other events. Guess it probably has more to do with the mechanics that she learned at her old gym that her new gym has had to try and fix. I was just curious since she is by far the smallest/lightest on the team.

I think all kids have one event that just doesn't come as easily. For my little munchkin, who just turned 6 and is around 30 lbs, it's beam. She's easily the smallest and lightest on her team, but can hit that springboard the best and go flying. She loves bars the best, and floor is easy for her too....but that darn beam is her nemesis at the moment. She taught herself how to whistle, and it took her a long time. So now when she gets frustrated on beam, I just remind her how long it took to learn how to whistle all her little songs. ;-)

I don't think it makes a difference. My dd at 10 was about 60lbs 4'1-2" with bars being her best event. Now at 12 she is still short but has put on alot of (muscle) weight due to better conditioning. At 80 lbs and 4'6" she still does very well on bars.

I think being light is an advantage on bars. Based on my limited observations, bars seems to be more difficult for heavier girls. It might be something of a disadvantage being short, given the width between the bars. I remember my dd struggling to make the jump to the high bar as a young Level 5. I also agree that very small hands can cause issues. My dd has struggled with this continually, even in grips.

I think being light is an advantage on bars. Based on my limited observations, bars seems to be more difficult for heavier girls. It might be something of a disadvantage being short, given the width between the bars. I remember my dd struggling to make the jump to the high bar as a young Level 5. I also agree that very small hands can cause issues. My dd has struggled with this continually, even in grips.

Could be the hand size. DD in sz 00 Reisport grips...

I think I might know the answer?
I recently asked a question on CB about fast vs slow twitch.
The reason: My middle DD is practically a carbon copy of yours. Coach says she has a harder time with kips/etc because she's slow twitch. He says she snaps much more slowly than my other 2 girls and is why little sister starting kipping almost the same time (although 2 years younger). She started out looking pretty good, but as time goes by it looks like she'll have a harder time on vault too - she just can't seem to pop off her shoulders as well. Coach says slow twitch causes this too.

My dd is about that same size and bars are one of her best events, behind vault. I don't think it's because of size. I am sure she will get it figured out soon!

this all has to do with strength/weight ratio. then body type. then twitch. in that order.:)

Bars has always been DD's worst event... not necessarily in scores by the end of the season, I guess. At level 6 states her bar routine was solid and her bar score was higher than her floor score. Probably if I looked back over previous seasons, I would find other instances where, by the end of the season, her bar score was higher than some other scores, and she always "gets" her bar skills... eventually. I have to keep reminding myself of that though, because they're definitely the skills that come the slowest for her. I have my doubts if she'll be competing bars at her first level 7 meet. The skills just aren't there yet, I don't think (I don't watch practice, so I'm just going off the bits and pieces I glean from her, and I don't want to just come out and ask, "so, do you think you are going to be competing bars, or what???"). Hopefully, as in past years, the skills will come... eventually. I am guessing it's a strength/weight thing... she can't do many chin-ups, or climb the rope with just her hands. She can now do a few press-handstands from sitting. I also think there is some fear involved, especially now that she is working on giants, etc. Plus she is in major growth-spurt mode right now, so she is contantly having to adjust to a changing body, plus many aches and pains. Every year, it seems as though her "strong events" change. At lower levels it seemed as though floor skills came the quickest for her. Last year it was beam. I think this year floor may be her strongest event again. She generally places pretty well on vault too. But never ever ever has her strongest event been bars. I fantasize about a season where I don't go into it biting my nails about her bar skills, but until she repeats a level (and possibly not even then) I don't think that day will come. To the OP, I guess I'm more commiserating than answering your question at all...

as i've stated before, and under coach supervision, if the gym has a boys high bar the kids should swing on that to break them in. it does it better and more timely.:)

this all has to do with strength/weight ratio. then body type. then twitch. in that order.:)

Hmmm, tell me what you think about this...her strength weight ratio should be good--she is very light and freakishly strong...capable of tons of chin ups, leg lifts, push ups, press handstands, you name it...

body type...I believe it is mesomorph. Shaped like a V, broad shoulders, no butt, skinny but muscular legs

twitch...I would think fast twitch. Explosive sprinter, coach calls her a powerhouse on vault (one of her better events), especially considering how small she is. Best event is floor, very good tumbler...gets tired quickly playing soccer outside in spite of being so fit.

Whatcha think, dunno? Can you crack the code for me? :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back