Too much conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blessed4x

Proud Parent
My 9 yo DD moved from 4 to 12 hours at the gym 3 weeks ago. Well apparently she caught the gym bug because she is stretching, doing situps, chin-ups on her brother's doorway bar, etc. all the time. She has said she is sore a few times when I've asked but "it'll get better". Is this okay? I'm guessing it will decrease when the new wears off, but I don't want her to injure herself in the meantime. Because she is the oldest by several years on her L4 team she was told by her coach she would have to work extra hard, set an example and be the best. Boy has she taken that to heart. Plus she just has that tenacious personality......work, work, work and never complains.

I'd imagine the muscle soreness will only last a little while as her body adjusts to the new conditioning programme- if you feel like she's over doing the conditioning or conditioning when her muscles are still sore, just remind her that rest is as important as exercise- sounds like you have one motivated gymmie! :)

No such thing as too much conditioning! She's got a good drive--never a bad thing. :)

That's exactly what I was going to say! As long as she isn't injured, too much conditioning is just about enough. Champions are made during conditioning. I can tell so much about a gymnast just by watching conditioning drills. The rep-skippers get their reward right when they skip a rep; the hard workers get theirs in competition! Good for your daughter.

Conditioning......some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough. No need to worry if the pain is only muscle soreness caused by properly done exerercises. Willingness to work through healthy, non-injury pain, is one of the qualities that allows an athlete to progress at an above average pace.

Thanks for the responses and reassurance! I'm admittedly a little overprotective....which is why she is 3 years older than the other girls on her team ;). This is totally her thing and I want her to take the lead. I don't want to squelch her enthusiasm now that I believe she is old enough to go pursue her dreams. I just keep thinking this gym thing will be a phase but it seems the more she goes the more she wants to go....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back